Ugh, Day 7 on citalopram feeling s****y

Posted , 5 users are following.

This is my third time on, has worked well for me before but had forgotten it can be a bit troublesome in the beginning.

I had tapered down to 2.5 mg for a whole year and then stressful life events made me crash again. Have now increased up to 10mg which worked for me before.

Just looking for a bit of cheerleading, to be honest. Had four hours sleep last night and feeling rough. Had week off work last week for new dose to settle in but back at work tomorrow, and remembering that new dose settling in can take time. Plus very vivid, dramatic dreams.

Aaaargh!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ruth, I think most people on here have said that it’s can initially take a week or two for those first side effects to ware off. I struggled with 20mg ten weeks ago so I took diazepam for the first week and it did make it easier for me. I’m so glad to hear that it’s worked for you before on 10mg as I’ve been on 20mg before and that worked for me. The doctors messed me around though this time getting me back onto it so my anxiety got really bad. I have some good days now though so I’m hoping it will get easier for me in the end. But yes I had vivid dreams and little sleep for which I’m having to take zoplicone for but that’s only because I let it affect my anxiety and it was holding me back. You will get there soon especially if you’ve done it twice before.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Gemma. It's really kind of you to reply. Uch, I had forgotten what the beginning is like. Weirdly, after a horrendous night's sleep, I managed a run this morning, and even though I was really tense for an hour after, I have felt totally normal all afternoon. The ups and downs are the wearing bit, aren't they?

• Posted

Hi Ruth, I think you are very wise taking a week off work, I get your Aaaarg! feeling, all this takes patience, hang in there you sound like your strong and doing great.
    • Posted

Thank you Paula, hope you are well today, God this certainly takes patience doesn't it?

I decided yesterday to take this week out also, think I was expecting to be up to speed this week but realised I need a little bit more time to begin recovering.

The thing I find hard is that it can feel like a bit of a confidence knock to have another bout.

Mental illness is really tricky to deal with, this latest episode is making me really feel not to take my good times for granted.

• Posted

It really does take patience, I know what you mean about the good times, I feel lucky that when I recover, I will really appreciate alot of things that people take for granted. I have tiny windows of feeling normal, this is going to be a regular feeling one day woohoo!

I had a six week break from tapering back in March, and couldnt stop smiling and enjoying life. Because I lost all my friends and boyfriend I joined a social meet up group and have made two new friends, one of them thought I was always happy and positive and thinks its just me, if only she knew.

• Posted

I also noticed how much people complain about things, am talking about people that are not going through what we are on the forum, and am sure I used to be like that. We are going to be ok soon, in the meantime am not going to let this beat me.
  • Posted

Have done the same taper myself in 2013 over a year and to 1.25mg

I know your story!

I crashed too and it took me ages/ years  to realise I need Cit 24/7

My second time was tough too

Took me a good 12 weeks to see the light dawn

Troublesome is An under statement 🤣

Dreams. Insomnia. Yes yes been there

Passes though

Never coming off it again

Learnt my lesson the hard way

Keep at it. 

You will survive

Am on 20 mg again. 16/12  now 

• Posted

Thanks Gillian. I am beginning to feel a bit better today. Sleep is still a bit broken, but am not getting panicky in the night any more, thank god. That was hideous.

I am so glad I took this week off.

Glad to hear you are also doing better also.

Anxiety is the absolute pits.

• Posted

So, bit of an update. After a hideous day of anxiety yesterday, and racing heart, and not much sleep, decided to visit gp this morning to tell them I had independently decided to raise from 2.5mg to 10mg eleven days ago. Got a bit of a wrist slap, but in a kind way, basically gp said 'you quadrupled your dose, no wonder you are experiencing so much anxiety.' Interestingly he said he would never have advised that as its such a big leap. He has advised me to reduce my dose as of tomorrow to 5mg per day. I kind of feel this makes sense, I have really reacted to such a big increase. It seems like I am much more sensitive to the meds than I had given credit. Feeling silly, like I should never have made the decision myself.... Also got some propranolol for the racing heart, to tide me over for a week or two. Fingers crossed this intervention will start to make me feel better.

• Posted

Forgot the point of posting that;was to say, this gp seems much more aware of the effects of whacking a dose up too much...... makes me wonder about GPS who just willy nilly advise adding extra 10mg.
    • Posted

Yes wrist slap deserved am afraid!

This drug is not to be messed with. Most people would have had same reaction

Sounds like u have good GP

And yes I know they say “ oh u can temper in no time”

So so wrong 

• Posted

Is about time I hear on here that a doctor knows that high doses are so draining to us..

• Posted

I like the sound of your GP I wish they were all that well informed.  I now have a good GP, and she advised me that as we increase with age especially woman of a certain age ha! its not unusual to be more sensitive to meds.  Try not to let the side effects scare you, remember, your brain and central nervous system need to adapt,  and when your body feels anxious take deep breaths at the count of 4, and release out of your mouth at the count of 4, no more than 4 times, otherwise you will become lightheaded.
    • Posted

It certainly isn't, have learned my lesson.

Am just relieved to know it was side effects.... yesterday after I took it, about an hour later had such a racing heart. Hopefully some stability soon, now.

• Posted

They most certainly are. Hopefully will start to feel sane again soon.
    • Posted

Thanks Paula, yeah, that age and side effects definitely applies to me. I feel a bit relieved to at least know for sure that the horrible feelings were due to dosage increase, and not just me getting worse.

Gonna start practising some breathing for anxiety/progressive relaxation anyway, as am a worry head, it can't hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.