unable to identify source of infection after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Back in here to whinge.

I had my TKR 12 months ago, mobility was ok bending was 100 , pain always there 4/10 some swelling. It overall happy

At 7 months I got sick with extreme pain and fever I associated it to the knee and went straight to the ED they aspirated the knee , I had to go to OT twice for clean up and synevectomyvwithnpoly exchange.They took 10 samples but nothing grew I never had fever again however my infection markers were extremely high, so it was decided by the infectious disease Dr that I would be treated for MRSA ( which i knew I had as I'm a nurse) home with PICC line for 6 weeks the. On oral antibiotics for 6 months , my infection markers came down , never normal, now it's going up again . I decided to stop antibiotics as my liver results were out as well!!

Saw Infectious Dr last week who reviewed my ultrasound that is showing fluid collection, I didn't tell her about stopping treatment just want to see the next blood result first .

I can walk , my bend went from 125 to 105 maybe due to fluid .

I still get swelling , stairs gives me a lit of pain especially going up.

Anyone has been trough a similar situation or has any advice? I feel that this is controlling my life , I love travelling and now I'm scared just in case I get sick in a foreign country

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh my gosh. You poor thing!! I'm only 4 weeks post bilateral knee replacement and I pray this doesn't happen to me. You seem to have such a good attitude. I pray you get over this. Vent or whine all you want. We're here for you.

• Posted

Maria How awful for you my heart goes out to you. No doubt about it you're having a very rough time of it I don't know what to say other than I hope and pray you will recover soon and get on with your life. This is not an easy op or recovery for any of us, but your experience has been horrendous. Surely the 'Professionals can give you some hope of recovery from this???

God bless you and give you strength, xx'

• Posted

Hello Maria i am in the same boat you are in i have had a picc line now for 4 weeks and i was in the hospital for 4 days they did I&D for right knee infection after a total knee revision. They took blood cultures in the hospital and when they opened the knee to clean it out they tested the stuff in the wound. It came back as staph infection. Hope you will be better soon.

• Posted

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Get well and stay well!!
  • Posted

You whinge all you like Maria. What you're going through isn't good.

I hope things improve soon & you can return to the job of getting the knee working.

I wish you well

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.