uncertain...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with depression.... after a stressful few months and things getting on top of me, i finally admitted that I am a mess and that I need help.

I cry a lot and i'm very emotional over things that wouldnt usually bother me, i'm 'on edge' with very good days or very bad days and therefore i was prescribed citroplam in an attempt to even my moods and help with my emotions however after reading up on side effects and different experiences i am uncertain whether i should take them or if i should deal with my emotions naturally and hope my moods even out...

my boyfriend feels that i do not need the tablets however i'm uncertain...

any advice?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There are two websites you can look at. Google 'Will Beswick' and read about how he worked through his problems. Google 'Anxiety no More\" and read about a similar approach.

Understanding is one key to tackling our problem so that we can help ourselves.

Having said that, sometimes we also need a little chemical help to take the edge off things to enable us to tackle our illness.

I am on week 16 of citalopram for anxiety. I don't know what I would be like without it. The tablets and the understanding are helping my old self to re-emerge and to get well again.

Perhaps we need to try everything to help us to get better.

If we get a headache we take painkillers; we take tablets to help us get through a bad cold; why not for this illness?

best wishes

Linda

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice... it is greatly appreciated.

I am worried about the side effects for the first few weeks, i understand that it will ease in time however i am slightly nervous about what may happen to me, did you find the side effects ok/easy to manage?

• Posted

On this site some folk say they had minor side effects and others had more. It depends on the individual.

I started on 20mg and had significant side effects for 3-5 days and I spent a lot of that time in bed. The first day or two I felt much worse anxiety wise and it took all I had to continue with the drug. I felt sick for several days and had a tingling sensation along my arms and neck. I definitely needed support from family at this stage.

My dose was increased after week 6 from 20mg to 30mg and I had no side effects when I started the higher dose.

For me I was keen to give anything a try to get well again.

best wishes

Linda

• Posted

I recognise that scenario. I started on 20mg too and spent the first week in bed phasing between almost normal and acute, moderate anxiety. It was quite different from Seroxat which I'd been prescribed several years before - that was much more of a problem to get used to. However, both of them eventually did the trick and brought me back to a state where the world was OK. The message is to persist - these drugs really do work as long as you're prepared to stay the course. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Forgot to add you get vivd dreams but these are brill!

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.