Underactive thyroid -help needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all 

Hope someone with some

Knowledge can help me. 

I was diagnosed underactive In mid 2015. 1 month ago I was told that levo had to increase to 75mg from 50mg

Since then i have felt awful.  Could

Someone help me understand the meaning of my blood test please 

August 2nd 2017

Serum tsh level 1.46miu/l (.27 - 42)

Serum free T4 level 18.2pmol/L (12.0 - 22.0)

9th June 2017

Serum tsh level 5.18 mid/l (.27 - 42)

Serum free T4 level 16.0 Phil/L (12.0 - 22.0

Thyroid antibody level 243 

Any help or interpretation would

Be so much appreciated 

Thank you 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That's odd.. you should actually feel better, by looking at your levels from August. Your August levels look great.  Your TSH is were it should be and even your T4 is at the upper end, which is good.   Your levels from June, the TSH to be exact, was way to high.  So, it was correct in that your doctor raised your dose.  But...  it's always nice to find a doctor that will treat you by your symptoms and not your numbers, even though helpful.   Maybe see about going back to a lower dose?  Not sure though.. as hypothyrodism can cause all kind of problems in our bodies if left untreated.  Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful...  

• Posted

Hello Kris, you lab work shows that the medication is working as it's supposed to. That is, it's lowering your TSH. People usually feel best when their TSH is around 1. So you should feel better. 

Think about how youve been feeling since starting the medication, really. Once taking the meds, it's extremely difficult to know which symptoms are due to hypothyroidism and which are caused by the meds.

Also, it takes a few months for the meds to level out, so if your gut feeling is that it's making you worse, act accordingly and don't risk your health. Find another solution. If you feel there's a possibility that it might improve, you could give yourself a set time period of 3-6 months before moving on.

Personally, my thoughts on this medication after only a couple of days was that the side effects were so bad I can't imagine anyone would take it. I should have followed my gut, but I was so sick by then that I couldn't even think straight.

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for coming back to me

I have just felt so tired and twitchy! 

Have seen a nerologist about the twitching who said it could be from levothyroxine and isn't anything sinister 

To me this seems that I was under medicated and now I am waiting for the medication to kick in? 

So confused and don't know who the best person is to speak to!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.