underactive tyroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

Today I was told I had hypothyroidism after going threw a few months of tests, my doctor was nt very helpful in explaining any of this to me, but wrote me out a prescription for levothyroxine 50mg which I started today and told me to come back in 3 wks for more blood tests and to see how I was getting on. Im just not sure whats next ?????

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kate:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hypothyroidism also.

Your thyroid is a gland that sits on top of your windpipe and it makes 4 hormones.

Two of the hormones are T3 and T4.  These hormones are needed for the body to make us have energy and get our periods.  In a person without thyroid problems T4 hormone is converted in the gland to useable T3. 

T3 gives us energy, makes our body temp normal and helps in getting our periods. Sometimes our thyroid does not work as it should and we have problems with the gland.

Many people get the problem between ages 20-40 and some later in life.he thyroid can be attacked by a virus called Epstein-Barr and that can cause damage to it. Some people have a family trait. Some people get it from another disease like Lupus.

The medication Levothyroxine is a replacement hormone and will replace what your body is lacking.  You must take it WITHOUT FOOD AND WAIT ABOUT 1 HOUR BEFORE EATING.  It will take about 6 to 8 weeks to build a level and make you feel better.

You can take it at night before bed, or early before breakfast.  You will feel much better after you have a level.  The doctor will ask you to test your blood  again in about 3 months.

Symptoms of low thyroid (HYPOTHYROID) are: feeling cold, feeling depressed, muscle aches, no periods or infequent ones, acne, dry skin brittle nails, brusing, hair loss weight gain.  These are most common.

Stick around and learn about it and if you have a question just ask, you can live a good life with the disease.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much for explaining it to me shelly, I was more or less just told this is what you have and shoved a prescription. X
    • Posted

Hi Shelly I have been taking Levothyronine for the last two years and I have recently been upped to 125 mg from 100mg I feel fine I had a compete blood count but besides my  thyroid level being six in stead of 2 I also am low in vitamin D my doctor has done some more blood tests to check my liver function electrolytes calcium and my parathyroid no idea what all that means do I need to worry Ihave had a scan on my thyroid in the first year and have a mutli nodular goitre I went to see a consulatant and he said they were benign and nothing to worry about but I didn't know you had glands at the back of the thyroid too would that have shown on my ultrasound

Kind regards

Jean

kind regards

Jean

• Posted

Hope you soon start to feel better Kate I am two years in and feeling much better my Doctor is lovely and does explain but sometimes when you are sat in front of them it dosent always sink in what they are saying.

Take Care

Jean

• Posted

Hello Jean:

No please do not worry, I have 3 thyroid nodules  and a goiter also, and they are benign.  Most of us grow a nodule or two, they sometimes are cysts and could contain a serous (blood & cell  fluid mixture).  Almost 99% are not a problem unless the nodules press on the throat. 

I had an Ultrasound also of my thyroid.  It is painless and they can see the shape and even the size.  It is a very smart and good idea to order it!

The parathyroid gland sits on the CORNERS of the thyroid gland and it helps makes calcium in the body.  Now we need Vit D and many of us with thyroid disease have low D. It can be replaced by taking supplements.  I take 2000IU a day.  Ask your doctor what amount he/she wants you to have as they may go by age groups and I am 54.

They can see a lot on imaging today so have the scan and do not worry. We all have had what you are having. Ask any questions you need to and I will be happy to help you.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Hello Jean:

Many of us have been in your shoes, and we can help answer a question you have.

Doctors today have no time and sadly only give you a 10 min appt.  I know how you feel, so just ask a question and the women in this group are eager to help.

XO Shelly

• Posted

Hello Kate:

Yes, today doctors hardly have time and questions can't be answered well in a 10 mins. appt.  You will be okay and just reach out and ask a question the ladies in this forum are wonderful and know so much.

Stay well,

XO Shelly

• Posted

Thank you Shelly if they refer me to have another scan I will go I get my blood results back on Friday fingers crossed thank you for the information it's really kind of you

Jean

• Posted

Hi Kate, I would always ask for copies of your blood tests, so you can track improvements. You have a right to have these in the UK. Also keep a diary of your symptoms so you can let your doctor know if they worsen, or you get new ones. There is loads of advice and support out there for you. Thyroid UK is a good organisation, as is Thyroid Patient Advocate UK. There are also some good Facebook pages Good luck. 
    • Posted

Kate, I've done this as a reply to scazzoh so it is kept with Scazzoh's...

On tpauk you will need to register to get to the resources (for me it looked like the site links were broken because when I clicked on a link, it didn't work. The links worked after I registered).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.