Undiagnosed abdominal pain, looking for suggestions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hate to turn to the internet for medical help, but here goes: 

29y/o female, no medical problems prior, no family history of this kind of thing, no history of anxiety/depression, not on any medications. History of foreign travel. No diarrhea, no vomiting, still have regular periods. Had a fever at the beginning of all this but it never occurred again. 

About 3 months ago I started having mild lower abdominal pain. An urgent care place told me it wasn't a UTI and referred me to a gynecologist, who told me it actually was a UTI. I took the antibiotics but the pain started getting worse, with chills, nausea, back pain, fatigue, and pallor. My gynecologist then referred me to the ER (I looked so ill she was worried I would die in her office). The ER told me I had a kidney infection (they ran no tests) and gave me more antibiotics. 

About a week later a urine test confirmed I never had a kidney infection to begin with, and I stopped taking the antibiotics. 

So now I still have constant mild abdominal pain, but with strange flare-ups when the abdominal pain becomes more severe (usually lower right), debilitating nausea, indigestion, back pain, dizziness, and fatigue. I've lost 10 pounds, have no appetite due to nausea, and I'm starting to look skeletal. I wake up almost every night in pain. I've been through all the tests: ultrasounds of kidneys, bladder, ovaries, and uterus. MRI with and without contrast of abdomen and pelvis. Two chest x-rays. Endoscopy. Colonoscopy. Two CBCs. EKG. STI test and PAP smear. Everything is coming back clean. So far all they can find is a tiny ovarian cyst and a vitamin D deficiency. 

Some days I am almost normal, with only the mild pain. Other times (such as right after the colonoscopy) I feel so weak I'm afraid I'll collapse, or the nausea will be so bad I can't even speak. 

My gastroenterologist and doctor are starting to think that I'm mad since they can find no cause for any of this. 

I am genuinely confused as to what to do next, and it's completely trashed my quality of life. What on earth is this??? Any suggestions for future tests or possible diagnosis would be appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have they checked your gallbladder?
    • Posted

That is exactly what went through my head kit4410. Sounds very similar to my symptoms when I had gallstones.
    • Posted

They did an abdominal MRI, so I think this would have shown gallstones, right? I have not had a HIDA scan.
  • Posted

an MRI might show gallstones but it won't show if your gallbladder is functioning correctly.  I take a natural blend of herbs that help the gallbladder, it is called Dr. Christopher's Liver and gallbladder formula, you should get some and see if it helps.  You can also google natural cleanses for the gallbladder and liver, I have done one before  and it does help.
  • Posted

Hi there, wiw I been gone for a while, but here is what i think. First check your acid level and B12, if your low in any of these abdomonal pain is imminent and bad. Low stomach acid a real stinker so answer this. , do you drink lemons without a problem, anything cutrus bothers you, if not then it could very well be that your stomach is not producing enough acid. Dont be afraid to eat just stay away from meat because they require a lot of stomach acid to break down, eat eggs, fich and chicken. Leave cheeses alone fir a bit and also beans. Use probiotic and garlic tablet or you can boil a couple pieces of garlic in water and drink that for a week cold or hot, doesnt matter, this will get the flora of your stomach back in order. Get some vitamin B12 tablets 400-1000 mg a day. You cant overdose on this,your body takes in what it needs and the rest comes out as waste. So try this ,see if it gives you an ease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.