Undiagnosed diverticulitis confused if I need more fibre or less

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have intermittent left abdo pain with bowel movement or inability to have a bowel movement with bloating and trapped gas. Started once again yesterday but I was constipated and unable to pass gas. Today I had urgent need to pass bowel and now suffering with left sided pain abdominal sounds. I'm not great eater and I try to drink litre of water a day but still have these issues. I have ibs but I don't know if I should try fibre orange sachets probiotic supplement make me feel worse any suggestions appreciated

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica

Your symptoms seem consistent with both IBS and Diverticulosis/Diverticulitis.  These orange sachets - is the ingredient psyllium husk?  If so and you have Diverticulitis, I suggest you stop until better - it is a fibre supplement and mild laxative.  It is actually recommended for both IBS and Diverticulosis to help keep you regular and empty, after an attack, and I am prescribed it by my GP.

In general, if you are having an attack of Diverticulitis, you should cut out all fibre, and just stick to clear fluids like consomme, clear apple juice, black or herb tea, (peppermint or ginger if you can take it) until the worst of the symptoms clear, then slowly introduce other liquids/semi liquid, like plain yogurt, meal replacement drinks, mashed potato, and finally slowly reintroduce easily digestible fibre like blended soup and vegetable puree.  Several people have posted dietary suggestions.  Julia1040 made a good post which others have added to.  

You should keep a food diary to work out your trigger foods.  Mine are gluten and fat.  Others cannot take seeds, nuts, popcorn, fruit/potato skins, red meat, dairy.  Everyone is different and it can be a case of trial and error to find out what affects you and what does not. 

However Diverticulosis/Diverticulitis is diagnosed by a Colonoscopy and/or CT scan.  For years I was told I had IBS with no tests done, and finally once I was tested I got the accurate information.  I think every NHS Trust has produced a pamphlet on Diverticula, Diverticulosis, Diverticulitis and Diverticular Disease, (all different so totally confusing to the layman) so if you Google it you are bound to get one of them.  I have posted a summary on this forum within the last couple of weeks, so if you search my posts you might find it.  I don't know your age, but this disease although normally in the older person, can appear in teenagers.  If your pain persists you may want to go to your GP, but they seem to be a bit hit and miss with this disease. I am lucky and had a good locum last time, who immediately referred me for a colonoscopy, but others just seem to prescribe painkillers and/or laxatives, particularly if you are younger.

I don't know what the recommended treatment is for IBS though.  If it is diverticulitis it can take some weeks or longer for the pain to go and a more normal cycle resume.  Loads of info on this forum and plenty of support.  Best wishes

• Posted

When I add more fiber, I have problems with an attack - I avoid insoluble fiber as much as possible and haven't had a flare of diver in one year.  I think medical community is all wrong when they tell you to add more fiber as  most postings I have ever read mention foods that typically contain a lot of fiber.  May not be considered "healthy" but anything that keeps me from a surgeon's knife is OK by me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.