Undiagnosed gallbladder issues?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

After clear ultrasounds, MRI, HIDA, colonoscopy, gastroscopy, blood tests, stool samples I've been told I have IBS / abdominal migraines / hypersensitivity. Is it possible to have an issue with your gallbladder without being picked up by the above?

Main symptoms: right upper quadrant pain, pain in right shoulder, yellow stools, intolerance to fatty foods, lower back pain etc. Seems to be pointing to GB but tests keep coming back clear....

Any suggestions / advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Really not sure. I had a scan (not sure what sort it was 2 years ago now) and it showed gallstones so I had my gallbladder removed.

They do not usually daignose you with IBS until they have ruled out everything else.

Hope this helps.

Take care and keep in t ouch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi, Stephie,

They could try a CT scan. Have you been diagnosed with IBS-D? I am asking, because you might have bile acid malabsorption.  

Bile is a caustic yellow liquid secreted by your liver during digestion.  It's what the gallbladder stores and measures out into the small intestine during that process.  If you have it, you will have urgent, uncontrollable diarrhea surrounded by the bile.  Stool tests will come back "normal" because they're not concerned with the bile surrounding them.  You may also develope GERD.

The body produces a hormone late in the digestive process that allows the bile to be absorbed by the body.  Sometimes the body stops producing that hormone, so there is always excess bile in the digestive tract, hence the diarrhea.

IBS (C or D) is really a catch-all diagnosis of several processes in the intestinal tract. it really isn't a definitive diagnosis.

There is a medication called questran or cholestyramine that was originally developed to bind to fat and lower cholesterol.  It is used to bind the excess bile, and permits people who have bile acid malabsorption to lead a relatively normal life.  

That being said, you deserve to have a more definitive diagnosis.  If you can, I'd suggest you take your test results to another gastroenterologist, who might be more interested in finding out what's going on.

Best of luck to you!  Please let me know how you get on! xx     

• Posted

Normally the Hyda would show if it wasn't stones but not working well.

IBS is what I have and my daughter had to have her GB out and is still suffering with Sphincter of Oddi.

But to help with my IBS I'm on a drug called Cholestragel 625mg before food it's actually for lowering cholesterol but the side effects if you like are binding and easing cramps it's totally changed my life been on it over 15 years now and it's fixed my way of living for the better.

Might be worth asking your GP to try.

A nurse I know had her GB removed and she got put onto cholesterol pills and she found them to help her as well, didn't cure all but did help her.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Stephie, have you had a CT scan? From everything I've read on here people have had problems with there gallbladder and all the tests have been clear.

I had my gallbladder out in March due to it not working properly but I'm still having the same symptoms so my consultant is going to send me to have a stomach emptying test as he thinks that it maybe working too slowly, I'm also going to the pain clinic in June as he thinks I also have anterior cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome which I've found out is under diagnosed and often people are diagnosed with ibs instead. I'm very tender under the right ribs and have pain just like you so it may well be an idea to mention it, its just an idea.

Let me know how you get on. x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up