Unexplained pain in the back and strong nausea - help please!

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi to all, i’ve been sick for 2 months now. It all started after taking heavy medication for a sinusitis involving antibiotics (amoxicillin), painkillers, omeprazol, antihistaminics, etc. Doctors believe there is no link between my symptoms and those drugs but I think it is worth mentioning. Due to heavy pain on the right side of the abdomen and dark urine I decided to stop the treatment after 2 days.

However the next day I had pain on the upper right side of the abdomen, both on the front and the back. After one week nauseas started, on almost a permanent basis, together with the pain.

I went to see a gastroenterologist who decided to make me go through blood tests, stool test, urine test, abdominal echography and CT scan. All this have nothing apart from some sludge in my gallbladder. But the gastroenterologist did not pay much attention to it as the walls of the gallbladder were not thick.

Since things did not improve after a month I also performed colonoscopy and fibroscopy which only showed light gastritis.

The doctor made me pass another echography which says no stones but does not say anything about sludge.

We even did a cerebral scan but still did not show anything. Today, I still have all these symptoms, together with tiredness, bad sleep (which is related), dizziness and more general pain.

I am getting desperate and would like to receive some advice. I had some hope on the gallbladder but doctors are skeptical. Also, they believe now everything is in my head and ask me to relax. But I am pretty sure that the pain and nauseas are there and I am not inventing them!!!

I read in this blog that I can also do a HIDA scan. Do you think this is a good idea?  Thanks in advance for your help.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Philippe.   I had my gallbladder removed 15 years ago and have this pain off on on since then.   It took them 3 years to decide to remove it, which was terrible, but the pain SINCE the surgery has been worse.   I had pneumonia and took strong antibiotics three weeks ago and the pain where my gallbladder used to be has been almost unbearable since then.   New gastro doctor doesn't think the pain is related to where gallbladder used to be and believes it may be an ulcer or other STOMACH issue.   Put me on Pepcid 20 mg (non-prescription) and that seems to help a tiny bit but he will do a scope on Feb. 5.   Ordered lots of tests.   My only advice is keep after them if the pain doesn't go away.   If you are vomit undigested foods a few hours after the eat, that is a sure sign you need your gallbladder removed, but like I said, it took 3 years before I got them to remove mine.   Sometimes you can take a drug called GEMFIBROZIL or if you have diarrhea, CHOLESTYRAMINE powder, that may help.   I WOULD do the HIDA scan...whatever they have to do to get to the root of the problem.   Do not just give up because it doesn't eventually go away.   

• Posted

Had g/b removed two years ago as some stones showed up on ultrasound.  Mainly had nausea and diarrhoea.  Post op,this got a little better for a while, then it has got worse and i am having to take anti nausea meds .  After a course of amoxicillin in December the acid reflux. Nausea and diarrhoea is worse again and dr has tried ppis for acid reflux. They made me feel awdul and stopped reflux but not diarr. 

I dont know if dr is looking at right thing, she always just said ibs but the foul smelling yellow diarr to me seems like its related to gb now.

just dont know which route to ask to go,down next, is it  g i problem, or loss of g b problem.

i see 10% get these problems post gb surgery and wonder if i m one.

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  Seems like bile is surrounding your stools so your liver is producing too much bile, with no where to store it.  

• Posted

Ann, please have your doctor prescribe Cholestyramine, which is a powder you mix with water or juice and drink 30 minutes before a meal.   It is a game changer if you have diarrhea.   Binds with the bile your body is producing and slows down the diarrhea...usually after 3 days, mine stops.   Good luck.
    • Posted

Yes, cholestyramine is the generic form of another drug.  If you mention it to your MD I the UK, he can prescribe it.  The usual one is one packet dissolved in water or juice (tastes better) at bed time.  This is because bile drips into your small intestine constantly during the night, which predisposes you to stomach upset and diarrhea in the morning.  

If you start taking it, you need to take it every day.  That's because normally what you eat takes 2 1/2 to 3 days to move through your intestines.  The bile needs to be absorbed each and every day or you won't see steady improvement. It will take 2-3 days to start working.

Taking it 30 minutes before each meal can prove to be too constipating for some folks.  This drug was first developed to bind excess cholesterol, and it was found to be able to "bind" other substances, such as bile.

Taking it once at bed time works pretty well for me.  But there are times I need to take immodium as well.  xx 

• Posted

My problem is that i do not have this daily, i can go two or three days without it then it strikes.  It is normally about an hour after i have eaten my dinner at 5pm.  I do not have it generally in the mornings.  Because of this I am not sure if i should take the med daily, or maybe earlier in day to stop it happening in evening after meal.  The fact that the acid diarrhoea comes only some days  and others i can have almost normal movement makes me wary, how do,i know when it will,happen.  Should i use the med anyway or will it constipate me on good days.  Its so hard to know what to do. 
  • Posted

hi .. i had intially digestion issues before  8 years, when hida scan taken they said my gb not working, but no stones. I did not remove it , but i run in to digestion issues every other day like bloating,burping,etc. Recently lot of burping/bloating where ultrasound shows gallstones now. I have dizziness,bloating,burping ,fatigue,etc
    • Posted

all i know is that i thought removal,of allbladder would solve my problems but has made them worse.  Do your researxh well, i wasnt aware of this and might have thought of holding onto it.
    • Posted

Wow, not sure holding on to your gallbladder is helping you.   It is sometimes difficult to deal with the issues after it's removed, but I can honestly say I felt better after the surgery than before!   Mine was removed 15 years ago and I still have some pain and some diarrhea, but there are drugs that help.  Cholestyramine is a powder that you mix with water or juice and drink before meals for diarrhea.   Just last week, I was told to get non-prescription Pepcid 20 mg for pain, as the gastro guy thinks I am having stomach issues, and it is helping.   Doing a scope in a week to see if there is an ulcer or something else causing the pain.   He said I can take up to 6 Tylenol for pain and that it won't harm the kidneys or liver, like Aleve and Advil do.   Good luck, but honestly, please consider having your diseased gallbladder removed.   If you are making stones, it's not going to get better on its own!

• Posted

Sure, I am not planing to remove it if there are no further signs of disease. But if there are I don’t know why I should hold on to it!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up