Unofficial Poll- Symfony IOL

Posted , 15 users are following.

Members who have Symfony IOL-Would you make the same choice again?

Y or N

Can add main reasons for your vote. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes.  My daytime vision is very good. Have not needed glasses since surgery.  I do have the night vision issue of seeing the concentric circles around certain light sources. If I drove for a living or had a hobby that required good night vision I would not have chosen these lenses.  I will say that if my vision wasn’t this good - I would not be satisfied with the trade-off.

One thing to keep in mind- exchanges are rare so very difficult to be 100% certain that one wouldn’t be equally happy with another lens.  

• Posted

Absolutely Not. 

I have poor near vision, not perfect distance vision and glares and concentric circles. I know many, many people whose pre surgery vision was worse than mine who got monofocal lenses and have better distance, similar or better near vision and no other problem. I almost got an exchange but decided not to, because it’s a surgery and not as simple as original surgery and results in the worst case could be worse. 

• Posted

probably.... My viewpoint is severely colored by the fact that I had a retina detachment in left eye 5 months after cataract surgery.... And then 2 detachments in right eye 11 months after the cataract surgery in that eye. I feel like my near vision is not as good after the vitrectomy surgeries in each eye. I do see the concentric circles at times, but they are not too bad. I just feel a bit like I paid for premium lenses, and then had RDs, so then had even more medical bills. So if I had known, I might not have paid for them.
    • Posted

So sorry to hear that.  Were the RDs related to cataract surgery?   Did surgeon know why that happened?
    • Posted

I'm sure that in part my RDs were related to the surgeries. However, my eyes are somewhat of a "perfect storm", so its hard to know for sure. I have multiple risk factors. I was fairly nearsighted -5.75 and -6.00(certainly not the worst, but in the range that most literature suggests is higher risk) I have a family history: three out of five siblings on my father's side of the family has had RDs. I have latticing. I was only 52 when I had cataract surgery. Younger age when having cataract surgery can increase risk of RD. But I didn't really have much choice as I was already illegal to drive at night, and almost to the point of being illegal to drive in daylight.

• Posted

It happens with younger folks as their vitreous has not drained. The RD is independent of the lens type. My mother there got RD 24 years back after her cataract surgery. Unfortunately she did not get it treated in time  

A coworker of mine who has had RD but not cataract also says that one of the eyes with vitrectomy has reduced vision. 

How soon after the surgery did you have RD?  My mother's was 7 years later. She was 41 at surgery and 48 at RD. 

• Posted

So sorry katrynka - seems you’ve been battling many vision issues.  I was 53 when I had my cataract surgeries last summer.  Had no choice either as cataracts had affected my vision 20/50 one eye and 20/60 for the other. Canada’s Medicare covers the surgeries once vision is 20/40 or worse due to cataracts.  I k we I couldn’t delay as reading road signs and work were becoming problematic.

Are things better for you know or are you still having treatments and waiting.

• Posted

No

Halos, concentric circles and starbursts make driving at night very dangerous. Daytime vision is good. $6600 out of pocket..... not worth it.

• Posted

I will be having cataract surgery next month and am seriously considering the Symfony lenses, so I am very interested in the replies to your question. I would need the Symfony Toric lens for my left eye. I had Lasic surgery 11 years ago, so that complicates my surgery a bit, plus I have had problems with dry eyes. I have also worn both monovision contacts and bifocal contacts, but can no longer wear them due to my dry eyes issue. I really do not like wearing glasses, and was hopeful that the Symfony lenses might work for me. A close friend chose the regular lenses and has the Halo issues with the regular lens, so I think it may be an issue with all the different lens options. Are you trying to decide on the Symfony Lens. My surgeon has confidence in the Symfony Lens and said his Father has them and has been happy with them.
    • Posted

Yes scheduled for surgery.. you can read my forum post "Have an appointment tomorrow with highly regarded Cataract Dr... any suggestions."

• Posted

I read your forum post and all of the responses, and see that you have decided on the Symfony Lens. Do you have a surgery date?  I will probably go with the Symfony Lens, also, but I want to meet with my surgeon one more time, before I make a final decision. When I met with him last month and he discussed my options, I did not feel very knowledgeable about everything he was telling me. It sounds like there is no perfect solution to restoring our vision to the way it was when we were in our 20’s, so we just have to try and determine what will be the best option.
    • Posted

I have 2 dates next month based on picking a facility the surgery will be done at New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai or Retina Ambulatory Surgery Center. Can not find any on line reviews for Retina Ambulatory Surgery Center. New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai seems to have terrible reviews from people walking in, people with appointments seem to give better reviews. Have to do some additional research this weekend for me to decide. 
    • Posted

Did you decide on the Symfony Lens and have you had your surgery yet? My first surgery is August 13 and I still have not decided on which Lens.
    • Posted

My surgery is on August 17th with Symfony Lens. Need to email Dr which Symfony (he said he has a dozen or more on hand during surgery, not sure if the final decision is made during the operation. Good luck with your surgery on the 13th.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.