Unsure if the problem is my GB or not.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Does any of you have/ had gallbladder problems without actual gallbladder/back/shoulder pain?

My doctors seem to think that my gassiness,feeling of fullness,general "yukky" feeling and the occasional stomach cramps(colic attack) are all attributed to my GB. I also seem to have developed quite loud gurling sounds in my stomach and sometimes the groin area,feel gass "moving",occasional diahrea(not that common). They did confirm that I have 2-3 mobile stones via ultrasound. I do have a very mild pain on my right rib at least a couple of times daily, but I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks now.

Last time I met with my gastraenterologist he offered me to do the surgery in order to remove my GB, however he did say that GB problems normally cause shoulder/back/right rib pain.

I am now unsure if I should remove my GB or not! Will take a second opinion now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

With regards to your pain/gas that comes and goes...I experience the same but my surgeon (after a chemical C-scan) noted that I do not presently need surgery...and after reading many of the messages on this site...some people do NOT appear any better after their surgery..in fact some almost sound worse..So I have decided to NOT have the surgery (unless the pains/gas) gets so bad I canot function.  I decided to restrict my diet: 5 small meals instead of 3, saltines (unsalted) to settle my upsets and NO fats over 5grs...plenty of water and walking.

This is working for now...so I am sticking with this plan.  Good luck!!

• Posted

I had mine removed 5 weeks ago and recovering. Before surgery, I had shooting pain under the right ribs , frequent burning feeling after eating food with oil or milk, anything that disagrees with my stomach. I was having pain on the right side of the back and right shoulder, enough reasons to go ahead with the surgery. I regretted it in the beginning because of the frequent diarrhea which is expected but only lasted for two weeks and accdg to my doctor my body will get used to it and everything will be back to normal. He was right after all! most of the symptoms went away especially the frequent indigestions and bloatedness. Health not perfect, but it's another issue and non galladder related. So far, I can eat anything now without any burning feeling, indigestions and bloatedness issues. Each body is different when it comes to symptoms and healing but I am sure your doctor was sure of his diagnosis. only you and your primary physician can make the decisions to go ahead with the operation and the surgeon can discuss with you the procedures and your concerns. I gave myself a year, but at that time the symptoms were not as bothersome until multiple symptoms hit me and affected my work and daily activities. i hope I was able to help you ease your worries and concerns. Good luck to you!

• Posted

It would be very easy if each person exhibited the classic symptoms of gallbladder problems, but each person is different, so some don't.  Some people don't have shoulder/back pain.  I never did, and my gallbladder was filled with small stones and sludge when it was removed.

Most people who have their gallbladders removed do well.  Others have troubles.  But those who have troubles are more likely to write in to sites like this one for comfort and support.  

As it's been said, only you can decide to have surgery--but if you need surgery to remove your gallbladder and you wait too long to have it removed, it can impact your digestive process, and your liver and pancreas very negatively.

Best of luck!    

• Posted

Yes, I have never really got back or shoulder pain. I sometimes get back mild pai when my rib ache plays up and I am sat up in the car, but not often. Never inmy shoulders. Mine is bruised rib ache, like I have been kicked or got a rib stuck, gas, bloating, nausea, loud noises in tummy, IBS symptoms, reflux and stomach wind pain after eating.

The surgeon and 2 gastro said mine is clasic, not everyone represents with shoulder pain, infact my mum got no shoulder pain or back pain and she has hers almost rupture with stones and was fixed after surgery.

• Posted

I got that "bruised rib" feeling a couple of times where my rib hurts when I apply pressure. It also hurts when I apply pressure on the right side of my sternum, where the ribs end. I am also starting to hate having the urge to go to the bathroom, sometimes even right after going. I think this mostly happens right after I eat, but I am not sure as it's unpredictable. I just wish they did a colonoscopy(i really dont like the idea) too to rule out any issues in my intestines. But when I asked the gastro told me that there is no need. Thanks for the reply smile

• Posted

Thank you all for the replies. Sometimes it's nice having people who you can relate to as on certain times you feel as if no one can understand what you are feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.