unsympathetic pal

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I have a slight worry one of my good girlie friends just does not seem to get how major this op can be and how slow recovery is. I had a rectocele prolapse repair 2 weeks ago. Now dont get me wrong all my friends have been great for the last couple of weeks but today on a what was meant to be a very short outing on returning home after 2 hours cuppa at another friends a fly by shop (i stayed in car) and home and I was then thought I would be able to carry the cat litter (approx 10l bag) into the house. I refused of course but was left feeling that maybe i was lazy and even just those 2 hours left me with a painful butt ache drag (rocks in them) and bad shakes.:-(

How best do you think recovery should be explained to the outside world of genitourinary prolapse?

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had to explain that it's a major gynae op, no details, and pretty much everyone is on board.

maybe your chum just isnt sympathetic? That's ok, it's her behaviour, not yours. She is ignorant of your situation, otherwise you wouldn't be asked to join the shopping trip. Saying no is a fabulous skill right now. I'm

saying it to loads of people and they're very understanding. By saying

yes you're basically saying you're up to the strain and maybe she's

assuming you can do it all. I'm asking people 'what does it involve?' before I agree to anything.

It's a special occasion for me to say yes right now, so these dates are precious indeed! Don't just go out to placate someone else love

• Posted

Hi

My sister was the same - when I said it could take months to recover all she could say was "what the hell have you had done", I gave her the address of the Youtube site that shows the op in all it's gory details.  Didin't get any feedback from her after that!  She's drifted through life without a single health problem, seems I'm the gal that had all the proplems, blood pressure, diabetes type II, hysterectomy and now a rectocele, but hey, I've had a very exiciting life, travelled, met lots of great folk, danced, sang and really enjoy life, my sister has plodded along and is always the sort whose glass is half empty.   C;est la vie!

• Posted

thank lovelys for your feed back 

just had a bit of a wicked thought to lyn53651's part of prolapse goes right back during sex when you lay down.. no wonder mine never did as i didnt lie down :-)

i never actually had any pain with my prolapse it just interfered too much to not have anything done and im only 49 :-)

• Posted

Hahahahahahahaha, yeah i got fed up of one position....but I must admit, I'd feel it was broken if mine protruded....no disrespect meant here ladies, really. My

consultant was delightful. He said that women don't need to

use Tena pads or incontinence aids in the UK, not when they

can have a routine procedure that will enhance their lives for

another 30-40 years or so. Free. He said 'I see women cross

their legs to sneeze or laugh, and hold themselves to cough.

It's unnecessary suffering and women should have fun, be

vital, enjoy themselves without the hindrance of childbirth

stretching them out of shape.' He was tremendously

supportive and supplied links and literature.

• Posted

I'm pretty sure you just made me squirt coffee through my nose!  wink
    • Posted

I'm sure there's a forum for that tlee 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.