Unusual symptoms of fibroids

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m having some symptoms in addition to the normal symptoms of fibroids and wondered if they are related.  Has anyone else experienced the following alongside fibroids:

hair loss, dark circles under the eyes, fatigue (without heavy bleeding), neck and shoulder stiffness. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi sallysav 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing lots of symptoms which you think may be related to your fibroids. I too experience the symptoms you describe and they are all related to being anaemic or low in iron due to heavy periods from the fibroids. I had a blood test and the GP said my ferritin level was only 3 which meant I had no iron stores left and if I don’t take an iron supplement regularly I get dark circles under my eyes, tire easily and get muscle tension/aches.  My hair also falls out a lot and worst of all I get restless legs at night.  However, all these symptoms are beginning to improve since being on Esmya.  May be worth having a full iron studies blood test to check if you are low in iron.

I hope your symptoms improve. 

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

That's reassuring Sue, thanks. I've been on Esmya for just a couple of weeks now so perhaps too early to see the improvements you've experienced. 

I had blood taken yesterday so am awaiting results from the full test. I didn't think I'd be anaemic as I don't bleed heavily and I take a high quality multivitamin that contains iron. 

My blood tests may reveal something. I'll post the results soon. 

I'm hoping these symptoms are from my fibroids and not something else as that means they should improve after my planned hysterectomy

• Posted

Hi just read your post, and thought 'omg theres someone else out there with same symptoms as me'.

Yes I have real bad hair loss (more on my right side) and its really getting me down.

Im due to have pre op assessment in couple of weeks, might ask if hairloss will improve if I go ahead with the UFE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.