up again

Posted , 5 users are following.

Up again after 2 AM. My chest seem on fire and my throat is nose and dry headacke. My eyes seem so dry too. I have taken my meds and galvascon also. They do not help much. I belch alot. Laying down makes it worse. I have had a motility dest and need surgery on 3 to 4 cm hietial or  some kind of refeief. What can I do?eek

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

have you tried other options?
    • Posted

The surgeon will not operate because risk too hight because of birth operation to repair malrotated or upside=down stomach.
  • Posted

I remember having to sit up between 2:00 and 4:00 am, a couple of hours every night with raging heartburn like a blowtorch down the throat. (And the nasal problems, respiratory problems and more.)

The starting point is to determine trigger foods to avoid. (In my case, the worst culprit was pastry but we're all different: you'll need to keep a food diary.)

Have your last meal at least 3 hours before bed to give time for your stomachto empty. If you can manage it, a gentle walk after your evening meal will help peristalsis to move the food through your digestive tract.

I don't know what meds you're on. I'm guessing something equivalent to 40mg omeprazole? Take them in the morning half an hour bfore breakfast. You may need to take an H2 blocker, eg Ranitidine, before bed to provide additional releif and, keep the Gaviscon handy to swig if things get bad.

Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches and sleep on your left side to keep any remaining stomach contents in place.

In my case, I had to have a fundoplication (which includes hiatus hernia repair) which solved the problems.

• Posted

David the advice by Barrets is spot on IMHO. To get some relief have bicarb in water and a glass of organic coconut water beside the bed. The trick is to wake up INSTANLY and swig either of these. Trust me you do get used to this and very good at it. The 2AM sessions are horrific arent they.Its a great time to email your doctor. I have done it twice this year - gosh arent those nights long ones? If it keeps happening (research dietry methods if the PPI' s dont work) you MUST sleep in a recliner as vertically as possible or will suffer eventually with Barrets problem. The H2 blocker just before bed definitely helps for a months or two and is not as nasty as Nexium. Its also very usefull when you eventually want to get off Nexium - been there done that. Dont forget you health and food diary.
    • Posted

Oh yes, the nights are sssssssoooooo long. Thanks for the tip. I will try that. I have tried so many different perscriptions. Surgeon now has doubled up on a  strong one med. I have slept in a recliner, tried raising my bed etc. He still will not operate at this time. I just hope I do not get Barrets before he goes. Just like the back doctor waited no long in removal of a lumbar Synovial Cyst that there was nerve damage caused by the wait.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.