Up and coming TKR - couple questions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good morning everyone , hope the day finds you well and pain-free.

Im in the UK, and am due yo have a TKR in March (no specific date as yet). Ive been given loads of info by the Ortho Team, and ws having a read this morning. On reading the section re discharge advice, I was surprised to see the following: You will usually be discharfed 3-5 days post op (which seems the norm). You will also need to be able to straighten the knee fully, and be able to flex/bend the knee to 90 degrees !!!!!! eek 90 degrees???!!! Having read loads of your experiences, I'll still be in hospital at Christmas!! Im assuming they take a lot of other things into consideration, but was just wondering if anyone from the UK had anything to add?

Also, a friend mentioned to me last night that she thought I should be taking some kind of vitamin/dietary supplement prior to the op - did any of you do this, and is there anything you particularly recommend? 

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the weekend xx

1 like, 33 replies

Report / Delete

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Terri. Just wanted to say I'm interested in following how you get on as I will need new knees in the not too distant future. I am 60 this year and had planned on getting the first knee done early this year but my consultant said to wait. Where in the UK are you? I know many things differ with TKR depending on where you are.

kind regards,

Gill 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Gill, thanks for replying. 

I'll be 49 later this year, and if I had a tenner for every Health Care Provider who said I was too young for the procedure......Im located in Derby, and my Consultant is Mr Peter Howard, who also does a lot of Private surgeries.....Ill be sure to keep you updated.

Regards

Terri

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi  Terri, I had first knee at 55 And second 19 dec 2015 at 61.  both under epidural with no problems at all. Pain control was tablets and they worked fine. You will know from this site that there are no two experiences the same. There's no escaping from the fact that it is not the nicest of procedures.  Both recoveries were different for me. I am now 5 weeks plus and improving daily. First four weeks not nice at all. Pain and sleepless nights. I am

mobilising well now and pleased with progress. But it's dynamic and can

change. I keep,on with my physio and exercises,tablets  and regular ice. I now go to hydrotherapy which is fantastic. The bottom line is, it's a brutal operation. That's how it is. Mentally, physically, emotionally. But, there is light at end of tunnel. This site will help and support you 24/7. It's got me through the bad times. The are fantastic people to chat with. Good luck and you know where we are.

Robert

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply.

I really think youve hit the nail on the head - its a brutal operation. I sont think people necessarily realise this - they know its serious, but dont think about the emotions involved. Im so thankful that I've found you guys on here, with all the support that comes from you all. 

Hydrotherapy sounds like a great idea - is this something that your Health Authority arranged, or did you do it yourself? 

You sound really positive for 5 weeks post op, which is great, and I hope your recoveery continues noce and smoothly. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi terri. Best of luck with the op in march. I was in hospital for 9 days, had an epidural, wouldn't recommend it, my flexions and bends were good from day one ,I had been excersing for 2months before however. Only had to have 2physio sessions then discharged. Terri be prepared for a lot of pain , tears and sleepless nights. I am 6months post op now. But nowhere near pain free and tear free, can't sit comfortably, can't concentrate on reading and tv. But I can walk unaided so I'm hoping everything else will right itself eventually. It's a long hard road I'm afraid. I wish you well my freind
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there Tucks, thanks for your reply.

I was interested to read that you wouldnt recommend the epidural - I get the impression that this is the preferred method of anaesthetic, aand the professionals obviously know best, but the thought terrifies me as I had them when my kids were born, and the second one totally failed so I had no pain relief......

Im I think the beauty of this Forum is that its warts and all - no one is glossing over how painful its going to be, and forewarned is forearmed - Id hate to be going into it with just the info that the Hospital provides, yea we know it will be "a bit painful"!!.

Thanks for your input and your good wishes.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Terri I agree I watched the video on u tube so understand why the pain is so horrific but the thought of being awake and hearing anything terrifies me so I think I will ask for the sedation with epidural. If I am able . I think this site is great like you I like to hear the whole story I think it helps to listen to the tips. I am getting the house ready but with the raised toilet frame and raised armchair( hubby has put wood on the feet to raise it for me) my home looks like an old peoples home!  take care
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Louise had to post this my freind. I had epidural with sedation , from the moment I lost all feeling from waist down, I heard every sound, the whiz zing  of the saw,the banging and tapping of the hammers and fierce movement of the bed as they pushed the new knew in. The most horrendous feeling of my life. I was sedated but was not given earplugs. I had been determined to have full anaesthetic but I let myself be sweet talked on the benefits it would give me, it didn't. They were giving me strong pain meds as were the patients who had had full anaesthetic only I  was hallucinating for 3nights. I'm not saying this to frighten any one of you awaiting the op, I am making you aware of what it was like for me. .take care and best of luck. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tucks.... I had spinal and nerve block with some sedation... I did hear the power tools... but kept drifting off... I heard what I now know to be the staples going in... but I have to say it wasn't an unpleasant experience... no after effects thankfully.... I have had a general anaesthetic and have to say I preferred the spinal... again everyone is different aren't they from healing... pain threshold etc....
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for that I will pack ear plugs but would rather be put out. I had full anesthetis when I had repairs to the cartilage done last year and was fine to go home the same day. just hope I get the opportunity to opt for general thanks again for info 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hope so too, I think we need to be in control when it comes to an op like this. Hope all goes well for you another plus is you will have the spring and warmer weather to look forward to in your recovery take care will watch for your posts x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi terri and a big welcome on here.  This is the best place for support, you can have a good moan and generally feel sorry for yourself.   We have all been there!  I am in UK and never got told anything about having straight leg or that much flexion.  We are all different so this can't be expected of everyone.   I am not going to say that this is an easy ride of an op because it isn't.  I am 8 weeks post and for the last week or so have been feeling more like myself.  It's tiring, painful and expect sleepless nights.  If you want more info just go through the posts as people's progress has been well documented.   Do your pre op exercises because you need to get as much strength in you leg as possible.  I haven't heard of taking vitamins either.  I had epidural and it was much better than I thought it would be.  I wish you well xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Susan, thanks for your reply.

I'm glad that youre starting to feel better, at 7 - 8 weeks it sounds like youre doing really well. Youre so right about having a moan and feeling sorry for myself.....Im sure the family are getting properly fed up with my grumbles and "ahem" changeable emotions.......at least you guys all understand that its not just pain and discomfort both living with the original problem and the subsequent surgery.....theres a big mental impact as well.

I hope you continue to heal well, and are soon pain free xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Terri. Thanks for that. Just back from physio snd able to peddle back and forth on low static bike and static bike.  My last aim was the cross trainer(. (Apparently goid for walking gait).  I was so pleased and am nowback home icing!  Get yourself a knee cuff to go round your knee for icing, I have found it invaluable.  Best investment as well as a peddle machine.  tried to cut down on meds but was told by physio to take meds at night as essential for sle and healing.   I hope all goes well for you and any others that are awaiting this op. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up