Up and down on venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ohhh I'm back again! Been on Venlafaxine for about 12 weeks now and on the higher dose (150mg) for around 7 weeks. Had a great couple of weeks,felt like the old me! Being with friends, driving, enjoying myself basically. Thought yes this is it I'm finally better and back to my old self then...boom! Past few days low again, teary, feeling anxious, restless. Has anyone experienced this? I was increasing the ven. gradually and would experience an up but then down again. Wondering whether I need to be on a higher dose....or is this normal? Hoping it will eventually even itself out...

Also has anyone experienced weight gain whilst I'm on anti-depressants? I'm on venlafaxine and mirtazapine and can't seen to stop putting weight on 😔

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mirtazapine is reknowned for weight gain.  Nobody seems to know why.  I put on two stones and when stopped lost a stone, but my anxiety is no better so dont know what next
    • Posted

Tell me about it! I've always had a good appetite and not exercised a lot and managed to stay the same-ish weight but since starting mirtazapine the weight just piles on and I'm exercising more than I ever have done! Tbh though it's going to have to take a back seat as my low mood and lack of motivation is back even though I've been on 150mg of venlafaxine for 7 weeks now. Had some good weeks and felt back to normal....so forgot that it's an ongoing battle. Been off work for 6 months and am going back soon so that won't be helping my mood. Are you on any other medication? Hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

I was on the same medication as yourself for over 12 months. Mirtazapine is known to increase your weight as I found out myself. I now have stopped prescription medication and now only take herbal ,Look up 12 herbal remedies for anuxiety and depression. I can say from my own experience it as worked so well for me and I feel so much better. 
    • Posted

Hmmm although herbal works for some and great it worked for you, anti-depressants have always worked for me in the past (plus I've seen glimpses of the old me whilst on this new medication, which is heartening) Just obviously gonna be up and down for a while, having good days and some not so good. Perseverance is key!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.