Up my dose??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, 

I have been on citalopram for 3 years now, due to anxiety stemming from family problems, I found 20mg not enough after a year so gp upped me to 30mg, last few weeks I feel that anxiety feeling slowly creeping up on me again, and when I am stressed I suffer from ibs diarrhoea, (last 3 weeks! ) so I am going to call gp today and go in for a chat to see about upping dose again, do you think I am doing the right thing? Family problems still ongoing, have tried councelling, just didn't work for me, I work full time and that's the only thing keeps me sane and keeps my mind occupied!!!!! Please help as not sure I am doing the right thing upping the dose?! 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Hayley

Your story sounds identical to mine. I have been on citalopram for 3 years as well. Recently I have noticed anxiety creeping back up again I to have had the IBS symptoms and GERD starting off again soon with palpitations all anxiety related .

My GP has said to increase my does of citalopram.

I'm reluctant to do this as I recently tried slowly to come off  it and failed as I suffered all of the withdrawal issues including brain zaps and so on.

I wish I could offer you advice but sometimes it helps to know someone else is in the same situation.

My personal thoughts are not to increase the does for as long as possible. My GP has given me some Diazapam with I use as a ( break glass in case of emergency) which works well for anxiety but is addictive. Sometimes I just carry them with me and that is enough with the thought that I have them if needed.

I look forward to any other suggestions.

• Posted

Hi, 

can I ask if you have used the diazepam yet? Gp did suggest this one, but not yet, see how I go with higher dose. He also said usually they would put someone like me forward for councelling but as I know what's stressing me, and it can't actually be actively dealt with, he isn't going to do this. I just hope I feel stronger soon, I battle with the tears almost every day, and try the brave face, but sometimes it's just so hard, I have a wonderful husband and a BFF who are by my side and who I talk to freely about my worries, this helps so much, but my ibs gets me down every morning the same, which kind of puts a damp re on the day before it's even started!! Sorry to moan guys, just very down today 😿

• Posted

Life sometime can deal us a really bad hand.. It's not that the pain ever ever goes away the scars will always remain.. It what we learn a take to share to help other that count.

what is it there is a positive side.. We have much to gain and nothing to loose. 

TC&GBbiggrin

• Posted

Only your GP is qualified to advise on the dosage to suit you personally but my uninformed opinion would be that increasing it is probably not the best route for you presently. Discuss it with the doctor to see if an alternative medication would be better for you in your present circumstances.  SSRI's work in a very specific way and are extremely effective in a lot of cases but it very much depends on the individual needs of the patient whether cit or something different will work best.  Sometimes cit is prescribed initially because it has less problems than the more addictive 'tranquilisers' or what are terms as the old fashioned anti-depressants but long term continuing issues may need a more traditional approach.  Whatever you do don't just think that you have to take more and more medication to assist, talk it through thoroughly with your doctor to see if an alternative is available.
  • Posted

I do yes. I have recently upped my dose from 20mg to 30 mg and then to 4040mg. They doubled it from my initial 20mg dose as i couldnt tell any difference on 30mg. $0 is much better. Give it a try. What have you to lose? smile xxx

• Posted

Seek advise first though from GP. But i really cant see an extra 10mg making any difference but positive..
    • Posted

Thanks for replies, and niccik, I went to the gp about an hour ago and we discussed the problem , he has upped my dose to 40 mg but not for long term , just to get me through a tough patch, and to help with tummy stress, also some buscopan to help with the tummy spasms! Hope it works, I'm off for a rest now, afternoon  off! Xxx 
    • Posted

Great. Hope you feel better soon. I get bad tummy when stressed, exactly how you describe. I get very very bad trapped wind too when stressed or down. Buscopan is really good for stomach pains smile

xxx

• Posted

Hi Hayley

I'm in the same position as you but my gp was extremely reluctant to give me 40mg (am on 30mg) as he said it can cause heart problems - I've not seen anything about that with the 40mg dose - only higher doses.  I have the prescription but am now unsure as to whether to take them!

• Posted

Let's is know how it goes on 40, are you upping straight to 40 or staging it up slowly?
  • Posted

I went from 20 to 40. I wouldn't go back. If 30 is good for you but you need more take what your doctor suggests now! They are professionals they've seen our problems before. I don't know why people keep trying to stop taking this stuff! It balances a chemical imbalance that makes us feel anxious what's the problem with that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.