Upcoming surgery to remove 2 screws, January 9th. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

?First of all, Happy New Year!  We don't have long and I hope 2017 brings everyone reading this, happiness, health and wealth.  biggrin

?On Friday, May 13th, I had hardware put in my left ankle.  My left ankle has pretty much frozen, (I did have 8 weeks of PT) but I am able to walk either with a very slight limp or a bad limp.  I'm just thankful I'm able to walk! Period.

My surgeon is going to be removing two screws on January 9th.  He said it was a very simple surgery that would take 20 minutes.  He told me I would be able to go to work the next day.  I'll only miss the one day, for the surgery.  He did say I would be put to sleep, for this surgery. 

?I know some surgeons leave the screws in, but mine takes them out.  I really like him a lot, so I'm going to do what he says.

If anyone else has had screws removed and would care to share your experiences and/or advice, (good or bad),I would really appreciate that, so very much. 

?I've been fortunate, because I had no issues from the surgery and no complications after the surgery, when he put the hardware in.  Other than my frozen left ankle, I'm doing fine.  My doctor did say that when he removes the two screws, it "could" give me more motion in that ankle.

?Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR and thank you again for any advice or suggestions.  

Beth

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Happy New Year!.

My surgeon takes hardware out too. In my case, he has to. My leg is rejecting hardware, and every time I stand for more than 15 seconds in one spot, I get burning nerve waves of electric shock pain. But I can walk, with my walker.

I am going to have a spinal tap anesthetic to get plates out, only I have to wait until my bone is strong enuf.

Your surgeon appears switched on. I know operation is way more straight forward than . Recovery time a fraction of previous op. Not

Good luck. And let me know. Mine is months away despite breaking leg nearly 17 months ago.,🎇🎆🌞🌈👣🚶🏃

• Posted

Hi Tituscanby1,

?I'm sorry to hear that your let is rejecting your hardware.  That sounds really frustrating with what you're going through; especially since it takes no time to stand 15 seconds.  I'm glad you can walk though, with your walker.  I used a walker for a good while and then I graduated to a cane.  At this time, I'm cane free and have been, for a few months now. 

?Good luck to you too.  It's one of those things that I just want to get it over and done with!  But, at least January 9th is coming sooner, rather than later.  Then again, I knew I'd be having this 2nd surgery, since about the beginning of my fiasco. 

?Happy New Year and I hope your procedure goes well, when you do have it.  :-)

Beth

• Posted

Oops!  Please forgive my typos avove!  It's funny, because you can proof something 10 times and not find an error!  Then, you hit the submit key and BAM, you find a typo!  Hahaha!

?Beth

• Posted

I had my surgery and thank the good Lord, it seemed to go well.  I go in about two weeks, to have my stiches removed.  So thankful it's finally DONE!

• Posted

Glad it worked well for you; I have a screw that has to be removed at 3 months and was told similar. Your post helps me. Thanks. FYI not all screws are permanent, some are there as aids to prevent reinjury until you pass a certain point.
    • Posted

Hi Skyjenn, thank you!  I've got other screws that stay in, but I'm just glad to have the 2nd surgery over and done with.  I hope your surgery to have your screws removed goes well.  They waited 8 months to remove mine, but every docotry and injury is different.  I wonder how long before (or what month) you have your screws removed?  Take care.  :-)

Beth

• Posted

Beth, can you please tell me me what screws got removed? I had an ORIF to repair trimalleolar ankle fracture.  I have seven screws to hold a plate and two pins that go through both bones. I am having ROM issue because of two pins. I can, not normally go down the stairs. I am planning to remove all hardware as soon as possible. How was the recovery after your second surgery. How soon were you able to walk again? Did you go back to work right a way or it took you a while?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi GreenOlive.  First of all, I love your name!!  :-)

?I'm honestly not sure what screws the doctor removed.  I just know that it was 2 screws on the left side of my left ankle.  Everything else stays in, for life. 

?The recovery after my 2nd surgery (to remove the 2 screws) was thankfully, very quick and easy.  I went back to work the very next day.  And as for walking, I WAS a bit nervous, since it was, after all, a 2nd surgery, but they told me I should be able to walk right away.  And I did.  I used my crutches after surgery, when I got home.  But I was able to walk again, immediately.

?I wish you the best of luck.  It is definitely a long road! That is for sure! 

Beth

• Posted

Thanks, Beth! Did they cut a second opening to remove the screws ? Or they just reopened via existing scar? It sounds unbelievable that it took you only one  day to recover.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.