Upcoming TKR

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've been battling right knee pain for several years. I'm finally going to get TKR done on Jan 9th. I was feeling optimistic until reading some of the posts. Am I going to regret this? 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ken!

I had both knees replaced last year ( June and October). For me it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Without the surgeries I probably would be in a wheelchair or using a scooter. My pain WAS that bad.

Now I can shovel our whole driveway, rake leaves for hours, stand at rallies or shop all day. Sure, my OTHER body parts that suffer from arthritis still cause me pain, but MY KNEES are GOOD!🙌😊😁🙌

One of the best things is SLEEPING for hours without being awakened by throbbing knee pain. I endured five years of intense pain that monopolized my entire life. Now I hardly even THINK of my knees!

Yes, there is a long recovery, but you will be standing the day of surgery and walking a bit the next morning. Physical therapy will show you exactly what to do to literally get back on your feet and back to a new GREAT normal.

You will need to be patient because you will have some "two steps ahead, one step back" days. Not to worry; strength returns.

Three months after my first TKR I scheduled my other knee. Reason? My NEW KNEE was doing so well that my OLD KNEE was holding me back!

You will do fine! Follow the doctor's advice, work hard at Physical therapy, and you will feel like a new person with your new knee or knees!

Come here often. We "get" it because we have been right where you are. Each person is different, but as others have said, if your knees are really bad, without intervention like replacement, your knees WILL continue to worsen.

I wish you all the best for your surgery! Please let us know how things go for you!😊

• Posted

Well done Cheryl

Happy Christmas 🎄🎄🏃🏾🏃🏾🏃🏾🏃🏾🏃🏾🏃🏾💃🏼💃🏼 X

Rob

• Posted

11 wks Tkr nearly back to normal need other knee doing hopefully have another cortisone injection been on 7 hour flight just need bit rom good straight but only 110 degrees bend ( never bin flexible)

Take care

Rob xx

• Posted

Cheryl I share your enthusiasm! Very happy for you / both knees done June/Sept 2014 best thing ever, did a year of physical therapy/ had a RTHR JULY this year/ I hope I'm done! Walk and exercise daily, you're never done, you have to maintain those new knees. Best of everything.

• Posted

So glad to hear all is going well for you!😊

I hope you will get your other knee done soon. It is great to have the use of good knees again!

Happy Christmas!🎄

• Posted

So happy to hear all is going well!

Yes, I am very careful to keep moving, stretching, maintaining good strength in my quad muscles, and being really careful on snow and ice.

With my two TKRs I had six months of PT. VERY helpful!

Have a great Christmas!🎄

• Posted

Ken, it won't be too easy, at times you will question why you did it, but to take away the pain of arthritis is wonderful. I'm just approaching 8 weeks post op. Like the rest there's been ups & downs. Now the ups far outweigh the downs, so glad I went ahead. Pondered for years but pain drove me to the surgeon!

We will await your contributions to this forum after your op. Just keep on going, never look back.

All the best for 9th Jan. 😀😄

XX

• Posted

Hi I spent years procrastinating about having a TKR because, unlike hip replacement surgery, there are mixed messages about the success of  knee ops! With the encouragement of my surgeon I took the plunge this year in May and have not looked back! In fact quite keen to get my other knee done now.  My advice based on my experience make sure you discuss pain relief before you have the op, I am on quite a strong mix of painkillers because of both osteo and Rhuematoid joint pain and found what the hospital offered me post op was less than my already daily regime, so was in quite a bit of pain immediately post op, once this was sorted out it was fine.  I managed my exercises carefully making sure I did them directly after taking my pain meds and religiously made sure I iced and raised the joint immediately after the exercises. I made sure I rested between exercises and walked out of,the hospital using just walking sticks 5 days later. I'm still having to exercise to keep the ligaments and muscle from tightening, I found the pain/discomfort waxed and waned as the area lost its numbness but never found it unbearable. I would say that any discomfort I have felt, am feeling, is so much less disabling than the original joint pain before the op and I have faith that this will lessen and eventually completely go if I keep exercising I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Ken

What are your choices? For me, I delayed my double knee replacements for years. I could not rely on my old knees to go up stairs, walk far, life was a bitch! The doubler is awful and if I had my time over I would have had them done at a 4 month interval. But I am back to doing what I love, travelling like a gypsy woman. 4 flights of stairs 3 x2 times a day up and down, at my riverside guesthouse here in Bangkok. 9 months post op I have minor issues in one knee (effusion) BUT life is magic! Do the work! Nothing comes easily except puppy love! Xxx

• Posted

Ken, as a recent tkr graduate, 11/21/16, I offer the following suggestions: ensure you are at a healthy weight, get yourself in top cardio and muscular condition. Start an agressive walking, cycling, and weight lifting program immediately. Eat healthy and get as much rest as possible. That's what worked for me. At three weeks post-op, l was walking a mile in 20 min., as well as stationary biking 7.5 miles in 30 min. Going to PT 3x weekly. Knee flex is 126. Have a great attitude and best wishes for a very successful surgery and speedy recovery. BTW, I am a 66yo male with strong determination.

• Posted

Ken, most people only post here when they have a problem.  I won't pretend the recovery is easy but it is not terrible either,  Yes, there will be times when you wonder why you did it, but just go with the flow.  I am a 73 year old lady and I had a TKR 10 weeks ago.  I have been back at work as a district nurse for 4 weeks and have been off a stick for 6 weeks.  I have a bend of 130 + (it was 78 before the surgery) and can walk up to five kilometers and did stairs with ease.  The discomfort I have now is sporadic and minor to what I had before ( I was almost immobilised with bleeding into my knee),   I will not hesitate to have th other knee done should the need arise.    All the best. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.