Upcoming tkr

Posted , 18 users are following.

I'm having my surgery next week and am not as brave as I thought. I'm afraid of the nerve block and the pain after. Could use encouragement.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a light anesthetic, plus the nerve block for the lower half of body. There are less issues after this type of Anesthesia. The pain block lasts for the first 24 hours. The feelings of no control of your leg goes fairly soon after the surgery. They dont let you go to your room until you can wiggle your toes.  I usually react to general anesthetic and this has less complications. Mind you, I had a very thorough  pre op appointment witht the Anesthesetist...what meds I was on, my weight, height etc. I had complete faith in him and he answered so many questions. 

After the surgery, do as much of the excersises as you can. but also ice, ice ice ice is vital. I didnt drive for a month but that is for insurance purposes. He sure was a little difficult getting in and out of car.  I ditched the crutches fairly quickly as well.  Take all the pain meds you need, you wont get addicted and you dont need to be a martyr to the cause.  Take pain meds before Physio.. that way you can get flexability. I had pretty good flexability before I left the hospital, walked a lot and learnt to negotiate stairs etc.  Be kind to yourslef and rest when you need to.

Im a hairdresser, so at the 6 week mark, I worked 2 hours in the morning and then rested for two hours, excersise in that time and ice ice ice.  then worked 3 hours in the afternoon.  At twelve weeks post op, I was working more hours during the day and a few hours at night.  it is five months post op, I have no apin in my knee and I can walk comfortably. Something I couldnt do for ten years. If I stand too long in one spot my knee gets a little stiff.  Then I sit on my table and swing both legs, getting more and more flexability.

If you are confident with your medical team, relax and let them do what they do well.  You wont look back.  its so true it will take 12 months to be totally "normal" but at the moment I am thrilled that I went thru this procedure from the first consult to the now.

wishing you success

• Posted

Awesome. So glad you're doing well. I'll be glad to get to the other side of the surgery. The anxiety is killing me😀😳

• Posted

Just don't get caught up in fear.  Do as much knee and leg strengthening excersises before surgery as this will help in your recovery. My knee had collapsed and my muscles had atrophied. I am 64 and put up with this pain for ten years! My Dr told me to lose weight and to excersise, yet walking and riding a bike were painful. Swimming in summer is good but too cold in winter.  I paid the price. Tho, I am determined and did the recommended excercise and Physio.  I am ahead of my rehabilitation and it's thanks to this blog, that I learnt so much. You will be fine and I look forward to hearing of your progress.  Best of luck, a.though wecare the masters of our journey and it's not luck but hard work that get the rewards... just like life!  Best wishes 

• Posted

I've been in a exercise class until last summer when the trainer moved. I do my exercises faithfully but yes, could lose some weight. My thigh muscle hurts when I try to walk and that stops me more than the knee. The doctors think that will go away when I get the knee fixed. Sure hope so.

• Posted

I was the same very nervous! But it was the best surgery anesthetic experience I have h a d. Waking up was really.easy

I' had two abdomen surgeries which were very serious and a lot more painful

I would feel safekeeping not an issue relax and enjoy o y the ride

• Posted

It's been 6 days since the surgery and I think I doing well. I can sleep at night and even though the knee is stiff and hurts but it's not unbearable.

PT is tomorrow and that may bring a whole new set of pain.

• Posted

Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones. As many were still crying at night with the pain at 6 days and more.

Good healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.