Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I posted a few weeks ago as I was really distressed over my revision knee replacement.i thought I would update now I'm 7 and half weeks post op.i saw the physio exactly 4 weeks p o I had a 20 degree bend at that time.i now have a 90 degree bend and working hard at my exercises.i still have a lot of swelling and I am on my 3rd lot of antibiotics as I have an infection in the knee which the surgeon said may require me going in to have it cleaned out I see him on Tuesday.im still using crutches and graduated to using just one in the house yay I'm getting there.unfortunatley mood is is up and down and still no sleep at night.id just like to say thankyou to everyone on here it has been a godsend reading and knowing I'm not alone.thankyou 

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

You sound like you are doing very well through what has been a difficult time.  Your increase in bend is amazing and you should be very proud of yourself.

I've just had my second TKR opened up again after a year, and it does set you back. I'm definitely making more effort with getting out every day (with crutches) and using a hired CPM, but there are good and bad days.  And it's boring struggling round the streets on your own!

Great to hear your progress.  Hope that they get the infection sorted out soon.

Keep up the good work.

Patsy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply must say I wasn't feeling this optimistic a few weeks ago but see a huge improvement makes me wonder why they do parcial knee replacement in the beginning though had them both done 3 years ago and now need the other doing too that can wait lol.it is good to be moving about more I'm sorry I don't know what a cpm machine is.you sound like you are doing fantastic too can't wait to get out and about properly myself.my leg swells very quickly after only 10 minutes of walking at the moment hoping that is just the infection.hopefully you yourself will be up and about crutch less soon take care                      :-) wendy
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Wendy

CPM is a continuous passive motion machine.  You strap yourself in and it moves he leg backwards a forwards.  You control it yourself and so can gradually increase the bend.  All whilst lying on the sofa or bed reading or whatever.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey sounds like your doing great, its a long slow frustrating road to recovery and bend degree numbers become the bane of your life I know!!!!! Try to focus on what extra you achive each day instead of numbers. If nothing else it makes you feel better!! You'll get there very soon and then wonder what was all that about!!! Heh heh
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there thankyou for the encouragement it's true what you say if you'd have asked me 2 weeks ago about having the other knee done it would have been a definite no lol but now I'm like on a maybe in a years time. cant stand too long on it 10 minutes and it swells a lot but getting thankyou for your reply have a great weekend too      Wendy 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago. I was very fortunate. No infection and I did not have to have a revision. It is a long hard road to recovery but for me it has all been worth it in the end.

Hope you continue to improve and manage to get into a better sleep pattern.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply it is very encouraging that for most it's a struggle but the outcome is looking good in the end.as for sleep having fibromyalgia too hasn't helped I don't think in a quicker recovery but getting there thankyou for the encouragement take care ...wendy
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey tizzi I too have fibromyalgia, was diagnosed 12 yrs ago. I believe it did impact on my tkr recovery, I was more tired and low.also took a lot longer getting a decent bend and exercise became exhausting at time. Keep smiling don't let it beat you x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Good to read that the bend has increased so much. I have my revision of my right TKR, done exactly a year ago but malaligned, a week on Tuesday now. I am getting more & more scared with every passing day! Like Patsy, I am going to hire a CPM machine, so worth it & as we won't be going out for meals etc. until I feel like eating (I remember last year!), then the cost is only the cost of a few meals out!! It's strange as I have the date, the date of dressing change, the date of my 1st physio, & the date the staples are coming out all booked in - yet it's not even done yet!! I won't be far behind you, so we can compare notes! Keep your chin up & keep us all informed of your improvements! - Veronica
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up