Update

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been to see my gp today as had a rough night with the reflux, she has changed my medication and because I've been bringing up some blood she has urged me to have a camera test to have a look. Not very good with endoscopy I gag badly. She has told me to tell the consultant changes since she has done the referral.

Any more blood before the 26 may when I see consultant go to a/e at the moment feeling rough and not my self.

I'm open to any one that can help me to go back for a endoscopy

Mark

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Mark, you must have that endoscopy.

Do tell your endoscopist about your fears and have sedation.

Think calm thoughts and concentrate on the breathing.

It will  be over before you realise it.

Hopefully, the bleeding is only from oesophagitis. If you're still getting this, your acid suppressants are not being effective enough, which is why your doctor has changed the prescription.

But any changes can indeed be quite worrying and must be investigated as soon as possible.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply and the advice I will try and do what you suggest in being relaxed when I have it done. I just hope I don't have to go over to a/e as they might do the endoscopy while I'm there. Will keep you updated

Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark

I know how you feel with regards to the Endoscopy, I am due to have another one soon and have decided to opt for the sedative, supposedly relaxes you. Hope you get on OK

• Posted

OK thanks for replying, I'm going to mention about the blood to the consultant and then agree to have a endoscopy to have a look. Hope that I don't have to go to a/e as they will most probably do the endoscopy while I'm there.

Will keep you updated

Mark

• Posted

Endoscopy's really are awful, I've had 3. First without sedation and it really was traumatic but the other two with sedation. Don't remember a thing about them other than hearing myself gag abit. Definitely ask to be sedated and it will be ok. Try not to worry too much about it but don't do it without the sedation.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply I just hate having it done as gag badly when I was told I had a hitias hernia and then had a Nissan fundoloplication. My gp thinks it's starting to fall and could be the cause of the blood and bad reflux pain.
    • Posted

How long ago was your nissen fundoplication. I'm the same with gagging but I know a few people who have had an endoscopy with sedation and even though you are still awake and aware of what is going on at the time after it you really can't remember anything. The only draw back is you have to wait around for about an hour after the sedation to wear off and you will need someone who is able to bring you home from the hospital. Good luck with everything and I hope it goes well.
    • Posted

I had my Nissan fundoloplication in 2011 for a hitias hernia since having it done I've had nothing but problems like swallowing and loose watery stools. The consultant done a endoscopy with dilation to help with the swallowing. Colestramine to help with the watery stools. He did say its a bile acid absorption problem with the stools

Mark

• Posted

That doesn't sound nice, I only had mine done a couple of weeks ago but didn't experience swallowing problems but do feel like anything I eat rests heavy high in my stomach. Hopefully your endoscopy will uncover the problem and they will be able to help you start feeling better very soon.
  • Posted

Had 4 so far, but all sedated (not an option , is the only way here). Slept like a baby and only remember waking up feeling great.  
    • Posted

OK thanks for replying

If I concentrate on my breathing and relax should get through it, will post when I have a date

Mark

• Posted

Mark    Definitely suggest which i have never had to they automatically give sedation for an endoscopy.......you never know a thing and shouldn't....good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.