Update 7 weeks post TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

Its been 10 days since my last post so I wanted to see if I could compare progress with anyone out there kind enough to reply.

I am at 7 weeks post op tomorrow (TKR) and I am 47 years old. I had my 6 week follow up with the consultant and he seemed really pleased and made another follow up for 6 weeks time. I had my 5th visit with the physio on Friday and he has signed me off for a month as he is so happy with my progress. I walked approximately 5 miles on Saturday, have driven to work 3 times in the last week (140 mile round trip) (not a good idea as I had issues afterwards that I previously posted) I am visiting the gym 2 to 3 times a week, exercising, stretching, swimming and generally doing all that I should be !

So why am I still feeling a bit low ?? I can't seem to shake out of it at the moment and have been feeling paranoid about my job (Sales Director). I just have the feeling that out of sight is out of mind even though I have worked from home since the day I came out of hospital ! I went to work feeling that I had to but it set me back slightly so I am working from home this week.

I am probably being a bit soft and I can usually pick myself up when I feel sorry for myself and in fact just typing this makes me feel better.

Has anyone else felt low following the Op or insecure about their job? I am putting it down to age and frustration that I can't yet keep as fit as I would like to be and that I am used to being out and about with work and not isolated and out of the way.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mike

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well, personally not such a stellar recovery as yours, but well within the expected limits I think . .and yes, definitely do feel depressed at times, although logic keeps telling me that there are loads of people much worse off than I am . .etc.etc. but it doesn't really work does it!  I do think that sometimes we underestimate the massive shock to the system which the operation itself causes. . . the loss of blood, trauma etc. . .We are actually at almost the same stage . .my operation was 9th January .

.Still having rouble sleeping, still taking very small dose of tramadol (18 grams morning and evening)  Walking two kilometres a day ; . .don't think I could make your five miles but then I am a lot older!  Hope you soon feel more optimistic. . It's one nasty operation isn't it!

• Posted

Thanks Martina,

Immediately I had written the post I wanted to retract it as I don't usually feel so sorry for myself. I think it was just the work thing really and I should stop worrying about that as we work to live and not the other way round! I have read many of your posts and you always seem positive which is how it should be. I already feel better and thanks for your kind words.

Yes it is a nastly little op but as you said I am sure that there are worse things that can happen.

best wishes.

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike

I am just over 4 weeks post op and I too get down and it frustrates the life out of me because I'm such a strong woman of 56 who works full time and normally has an active life. Iv been off sick for 8 months due yo first surgery going wrong and I must admit I'v stopped stressing about work, I will return to work when I'm fully recovered Im putting my health first even though I'm now on half pay

• Posted

Quite right Jeanette ! I have already shaken myself out of it !!

Thanks

Mike

• Posted

Hey Mike,  from the sounds of things you are doing really well.  I have my ups and downs at 6 weeks out.  Stay the course amigo!
    • Posted

Will do and thanks for the vote of confidence !!!
  • Posted

I will be getting my op at the end of the month so am very interested in the progress of the rest of you! I am amazed that you have already walked 5 mile I truly amin awe, well done
    • Posted

Thanks and great name !!!

You will be fine ! A bit tough at first but it gets better honestly !

Best of luck and hope all goes well !

Mike

• Posted

Dotty,

I know pre-op, I made myself think about how painful (with absolutely no hope of improvement) my knee was.  I keep that in mind and even have a little reminder posted on the wall to remind me on the difficult days.  I'm 6 out today and get to go see the surgeon and look forward to walking up to him with no cane with a smile on my face, knowing I'm not done, but, as the saying goes: "I see the light!"

(and knowing that light could be the train)

• Posted

Totally agree, the pain I was in before surgery was 10 times worse than the discomfort pain I get now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.