Update after 4 wks post tkr.

Posted , 14 users are following.

When I first found this forum, I was excited to see how everyone was getting along but stopped commenting as the posts were so depressing. But thought I should come back as the healing has been awesome. Four weeks post TKR and I have gotten over many challenges. I walk with one cane now, can have an almost proper sleep, can sit in my car and manipulate the pedals, can walk 5+mins without getting winded and have a 108 degree bend in my knee. I still have the occasional pity party but not many. I have gotten out with friends and shopped for food in a wheel chair but managed to get out of my suite. Healing is awesome!!

8 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Isn't it awesome ! I am 7 weeks post op tomorrow and the knee is doing really well. I am driving again - well have driven once with my husband - am trying to get up courage to go out on my own today smile

I dreamed last night my leg was straight but sadly it wasn't when I awoke. Still at 10 but bend is 110.

All the best,

• Posted

Three things to get your knee bending and straightning properly . Physio ,Physio and more Physio . smile 

• Posted

Good for you! We mostly all have good and bad days. Some people post here and express their valid feelings of frustration and of their painful circumstances. You are fortunate and I hope you continue to heal well. Not everyone is so blessed.
  • Posted

Hi Joskea... I'm 10 weeks post op and doing well too.... I found at 7 weeks I really started to feel better... I walk a mile every second day and still ice my knee.. my outer thigh hurts a bit.. but I massage a lot..... I hope everyone here makes a healthy recovery and realises every day something improves.... God bless.

• Posted

I joined this group to see how many people were experiencing the same kind of things as I.  I am really happy that your recovery is going well and I pray that it continues to do so.  My TKPs were within 4 months of each other and the first one was quite painful.  I am making small daily improvements but have my ups and downs.  My last surgery was 9/16 and I know that the pain that I have now is nowhere as bad as the pain before surgery.  My left knee bends 121 and my right is at 115.  I am thankful for this forum so that people can voice their frustrations as well as their recovery progress.
  • Posted

Thanks for that! Relieved to hear something positive- started to dread my TKR next week as it seems to be stories of endless pain! Glad to hear it's not the case for everyone. Keep up the good work!

Xxx

• Posted

Just do what the Drs. Say and faithfully do your exercises and you will do ok.  Use plenty of ice on your knee and keep positive thoughts.  You will have good and bad days.  I had a spinal and they put me under so I wouldn't hear or know anything.  Hang in there.  Mine was a little more difficult because I did two in a short period of time.  I am still working through some pain but I am so grateful that I no longer have the awful pain that I had before surgery.  There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

• Posted

Thanks Sharon! I am preparing as much as I can- have lost some more weight so am now just under 30 Bmi ( not perfect but an improvement!) .

I've just been to 'joint school' - it seems my exercises are down to me- no physio appt for several weeks after so good job I'm determined!!

Am very anxious about a spinal- would prefer to be asleep. They told us about both and said it's entirely up to us, but then after that only referred to spinal and made it sound as though if you choose full anaesthetic you will wake up in agony!

Some things sounded awful and other things they seemed to make light of so it left me more confused than when I arrived ha ha!

I feel pretty prepared and have a positive outlook to life anyway - just anxious about the initial pain. It will be worth it in the long run .

Thanks for your advice 😀

• Posted

Hi Mandy I thought I was going to be put to sleep until on the day they gave me option and the fact I wouldn't be vomiting after spinal swayed it for me cus previously when having general anesethic I've been vomiting for days. so although apprehensive I went for spinal it was fine and I did hear things but drifted in an out of sleep. And was pain free for at least 8 hrs .

• Posted

Oh ok thanks! I've never been sick after an anaesthetic do that's not a worry . The surgeon who spoke today didn't help by saying you might hear some sawing!!!

• Posted

Ask your dr. About spinal.  They still put me under but not as deeply.  I didn't hear anything, feel anything, or know anything.  The first TKR, the spinal didn't take and I guess they did a knee block and the regular general anesthesia.  If you get sick from anesthesia, you might ask then to use a patch (the one you use on a cruise against seasickness) behind your ear.  It really helped me with nausea.  Good luck, I'll be praying for you!!

• Posted

Thank you some good news at last I'm day 20 post TKR it seems a long road. Are you still on meds

• Posted

Me too. I am also 4 weeks post op and getting on great. I walk a little further with the dogs each day, about 30 to 40 mins, I am back teaching ballet and tap, perhaps  slower but thats fine with me and my students. I am almost at 108 and off meds except at night. I have a few painful nights but they are fewer Proud ? we should be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.