Update after 4 wks post tkr.

Posted , 14 users are following.

When I first found this forum, I was excited to see how everyone was getting along but stopped commenting as the posts were so depressing. But thought I should come back as the healing has been awesome. Four weeks post TKR and I have gotten over many challenges. I walk with one cane now, can have an almost proper sleep, can sit in my car and manipulate the pedals, can walk 5+mins without getting winded and have a 108 degree bend in my knee. I still have the occasional pity party but not many. I have gotten out with friends and shopped for food in a wheel chair but managed to get out of my suite. Healing is awesome!!

8 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had tkr 19 days ago and getting better every day.

walking with 1 stick 40 mins a day and being persistent with exercisi

• Posted

I'm having problems posting on this page.

it keeps freezing and reloading posting before I finish.

anyone else having this problem

• Posted

Yep - frustrating isn't it. usually I just close the page and loose my text and do over.

• Posted

Yes, it does it all the time with me. I now write my posts in 'Notes' on my Ipad and then copy and paste on here.

• Posted

Ooo now there's a thought ! As a new ipad user I need these tips - thank you smile

• Posted

I have had both knees replaced , first 17 years ago second 15 years ago . Have had no problems at all , both still going strong . Most important to keep up the physio to ensure the knee bends and straightens . 
    • Posted

Hi David - how very nice to have a long term perspective. 

One question - do you find if you don't exercise the bend or straighten diminishes ? I had assumed once I got my bend back it would be a permanent thing as far as anything can be permanent !!

I am 7 weeks post op today and doing really well but i do find if I overdo things the leg stiffens again considerably.

• Posted

After my surgery I did exercise as recomended by the physio . It is important to get the knee to bend but just as important to ensure that you can straighten it . I don't exercise as much as I should now , but find with everyday use , walking , stairs , driving etc they keep flexible . Not too bad after 17 years . smile

• Posted

That is very encouraging.

I am good with my PT exercises and am using a stationary bike 3 x a day. I do find standing my worst issue as the knee will then swell and lose mobility.

Early days smile

• Posted

Great to hear positive long term news! I am feeling a bit better about next week !
  • Posted

Slow gentle strech followed by some demi plie's. Working well for me so far

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.