Update... Dr says I gave classic gallbladder symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just left my Dr who after hearing my symptoms, told me I have the classic, textbook symptoms if gallstones or faulty gallbladder.

He says he is 99% sure but is ordering an ultrasound to make sure. I asked him if I needed bloodwork and he said not now... Just the ultrasound.

He said after the ultrasound, I will meet with his surgical team (this was my primary care physician).

I guess I'm a little surprised that he didn't want bloodwork. Don't they normally check your liver enzymes? He said they may need it before surgery.

Anyway, I will await the call for scheduling my ultrasound.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janecat,

​ If any releif to you at all I had was the ultrasound was told within 1hr from the time

​I had it done and sent over to my primary doctor.

​Three weeks later gall bladder removed.

​Good Luck any questions post them here, kinda a releif to know what, where and how before you go for surgery my first surgery in my life was scared to the hills!

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I did have bloodwork, but it came back completely normal. The ultrasound showed my gallbladder was full of stones so they removed it because of those results. I was also having bad symptoms. They explained that sometimes bloodwork is not an entirely accurate indicator of gallbladder issues. The ultrasound should show something.

• Posted

I had bloods and scans but my symptoms are not clear textbook though and they had to rule out other reasons before deciding my gallstones were the likely cause. Bloods are usually OK unless you get complications and even then, they are not that concerned unless very off - my lfts were off a bit a few times. I'm still waiting for surgery after 8 months though (UK).

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. Deborah, I have never had any surgeries either so it makes me nervous!

Laura, I suppose the ultrasound is what is most important. He did mention the HIDA scan, if necessary.

Cynthia, I'm sorry your still waiting. How much longer do you think it will be?

• Posted

Thanks. I have changed hospitals as the first was messing me around and cancelled several times due to strikes and staff issues. They will not give me date until 2 weeks before which is not much help arranging life but I guess it will be Oct now.
    • Posted

Well Oct isn't too bad. I guess it depends on how you feel most days. I know the health care there us different than here in the US. I sure hope you get that surgery soon!

• Posted

Thank you. I hope you are treated soon and feel better too.

• Posted

He is supposed to check liver enzymes and pancreas enzymes, pancreatitis is even more dangerous.
    • Posted

Yes, I thought so too. Maybe they will want blood work before surgery (if I need it).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.