update on gallbladder removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just thought I would post an update here after having my gallbladder removed on Thursday morning for anyone that it might help (its now monday morning).

I had my surgery at 8am and I remember being awake and talking to the nurses at 10:15am. I stayed overnight as I went through the private system with insurance and that is what the surgeon recommended. If anyone has the option I do recommend staying overnight. They took regular BP and temperature observations and the first night I got a bit nauseous after dinner but the nurses gave me something that had my stomach feeling totally fine in less than 5 minutes. 

The pain in hospital was fine, yes I was a little sore but if I kept still there really wasn't much pain to speak of. 

I had lunch at roughly 1.30pm on the day of the operation and it consisted of a ham/cheese/tomato sandwich, some peaches, a tub of custard and some apple juice. I had no troubles eating lunch. Dinner was chicken cajun, pea soup, bread roll, some watermelon and a piece of black forest cake for desert. It made me slightly nauseous but the medication helped and I had no digestive problems with it.

Breakfast was eggs on toast and this was absolutely fine, I was actually hungry in the morning and some proper food tasted great. 

The first few days at home I was pretty sore, I could walk around but I was slow getting in and out of chairs or getting out of bed ect. You have to adjust to using your leg and arm muscles more and your abs less. The general pain was managed fine with paracetamol so it wasn't too bad.

Today is the 4th day since the op and theres still a bit of pain but its much less today. I can sit/stand/walk around pretty easily and its just a case of taking it easy now. I haven't tried driving yet, but I think I'm still at least 1 more day from being able to do that. 

My digestion has been better than expected. On day 2 I had a little diarrhoea but nothing too bad (Ive had much worst from a dodgy petrol station sausage roll). But apart from that my bowel movements have just been the regular once per day in the morning. The stool is maybe softer than before but certainly nothing feels to be wrong. The Dr told me to just eat normally and thats what I have done.

So far I have just avoided the obvious junk food like pizza, Mcdonalds, fish & chips ect. 

Last night i had roast lamb and baked potatoes with vegetables, the night before was pan fried fish with vegetables and mashed potato and previous to that was a chicken casserole with mixed vegetables and mash potato. 

Lunches have just been the old faithful ham/cheese/tomato toasted sandwhich and I had bacon & eggs for breakfast yesterday and there was no issue. Also its easter, so I have eaten A LOT of chocolate eggs and have had no problems with that. 

So far Im very happy with how everything has gone. I read a lot of negative stuff online but I feel so much better now and I'm generally happy that Ive had it done. I think people tend to only get online and write about this stuff when something is wrong so I just wanted to highlight that you can also feel better after having your gallbladder removed. 

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Just curious what was wrong with your GB and what were your symptoms? Been considering surgery because the symptoms aren't that fun and I'm a bit nervous about saying yes to surgery.

• Posted

Hi Jamie

Before I had the surgery I was having pain in my upper right abdomen from 2 stones. I never had the crippling severe pain that people talk about. Mine was more like a constant ache in my back and under my ribs. I also often felt like I was bloated, constipated and sometimes felt as if I was going to be sick.

• Posted

Hi, great to read positive news on your surgery. I also had my GB removed day surgery on Thursday at 1:30 pm I was home and in bed at 6 pm..according to the surgeon all went well no issues. I have been eating very light pretty much no fat as I am nervous off a episode with cramps and diarrhea. Tonight I’ve had intense mid back pain with right side belly ache..I seem to get more relief while up walking around..Anyway only day three and I feel things are going well..I am looking forward to feeling much better and move on with life..
  • Posted

Thank you Steve, for your positive and encouraging post about your gallbladder operation and how well your doing and what you were able to eat. The information has helped me a lot, I’ve read many negative posts in relation to the gallbladder operations, but it’s different for everyone I guess. I’ve been unwell with gallbladder problems and gaulstones for nearly 9 months, I’ve just seen the consultant last week I’m having an endoscopy and MRI scan before my surgery and seeing the consultant end of April next month. He’s then making a date for my operation. I am nervous but at the same time tired of being ill and in pain taking pain medicine every day and feeling exhausted it’s put my life on hold, it’s definitely a life changing condition the whole process. Once again thank you for posting your positive an inspiring message it really does help to read feedback from someone who has been through this and see now doing well. Good luck, and I hope you continue to feel better. ??

• Posted

That's great to hear so very happy for you I am just waiting to feel normal  not eaten properly for months ! be safe enjoy your food 👌

• Posted

thanks for sharing your experience.I have severe bloating and burping after gallstones formed .I also have gastirits.I dont have severe pain in my gallbladder area.So i'm bit confused if the gastritis or the gallbladder is causing the bloating and lot of burping. Did you had bloating,burping before the gallbladder surgery  or any discomfort on left side of the stomach ?

• Posted

Hi Steve , Would you say what your diet was like BEFORE you had

your gallbladder removed ?I must say the meals you had after removal

made my mouth water lol . I haven't had a proper meal for a very long time .

• Posted

Hi Linda

Yes after reading so much about it I was surprised that the hospital had me down for a normal diet a few hours after waking up. I was nervous about eating cheese but nothing bad happened.

My diet now is exactly how it was before and im fine. I ate tons of easter chocolate with no problem. Dinners have been steak, burgers, pasta, caseroles, curry, stir fry chicken and no problems.

So far though everything has been homemade. I havnt tried going to Mcdonalds or anything yet but for day to day meals and crisps, chocolate ect ect there is no difference in digestion for me. In fact its better now without the bloating and pain from my gallbladder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.