Update on MUA & Adesiolysis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Sorry I'm slow with the updates but my surgery didn't go to plan. As some of you will recall I'm 23 weeks post TKR and went in for an MUA and Adesiolysis yesterday due to poor bend and lack of straightening.

It basically didn't happen. The camera showed that there was a problem with my ligaments. He couldn't do the Mua as there was a high chance of breaking the leg due to the force needed to stretch the ligaments. They are the reason my leg will not bend or straighten. He took several biopsy's to make sure there is nothing else going on that's causing their refusal to move. I have a numb leg which won't hold my weight properly as they gave me an arterial nerve block, thinking I would be on the CPM machine...that obviously wasn't needed.

I've been told I need a new TKR. This one will be even more complex as the ligaments will be stripped from my leg and replaced by hinges. I will have a full Terminator leg. I don't know when the surgery will be. I will see my surgeon in a few weeks to discuss further and he's getting a second opinion to make sure he covers all my options. I've also had issues with low haemoglobin levels so having treatment for that.

I have a massive dressing on the leg but no idea how many stitches I have underneath. I will have these removed in 2 weeks.

I can't tell you all how devastated I am. My journey is going to start all over again and be even more complex. In the mean time I'm left with a painful leg that doesn't work properly.

On the plus side at least the prosthesis was stable so hopefully once these wounds have healed and swelling and nerve block has gone then I should at least be back to that whilst I wait.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment 😩 No need for any kind words, I just wanted to keep you all informed, especially those of you also waiting for an MUA.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So sorry that you too, have problems. I am past 9 months post right TKR. My problems have been well documented on this brilliant site, & I too, need it all doing again, but not as drastically as yours sound. I have been waiting since April, when ultrasounds & x-rays proved my new knee was misaligned by 6mm. I also have lumps on the knee that won't go away. Today I found out that the aspiration to see if the lumps are infected is next Thursday - so pleased this is moving along finally. We are in the minority, & it's just bad luck. Will be thinking of you.
  • Posted

Oh kathryn I feel soooo sorry for you but you sound a strong person?? Think positive uve done it once so you can do it again and lets hope this time everything is ok!!! Good luck and chin up x x
  • Posted

Oh Kathryn, so sorry that you didn't get the result you so badly needed.

I suppose that it's good that he didn't risk it and break your leg.

Probably the best person to advise you on here is OFG, but you know that we are all there for you.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Kathryn, how freakin' disappointing and frustrating. I would think that a mini pity party is well justified - I am thinking good thoughts for you and hope that the new terminator 007 extreme will not only allow you kick butt (figuratively AND literally) but will fix things for you once and for all. Did they say how all your ligaments got screwed up so badly? Hang in there.. Donna
  • Posted

Kathryn, so sorry to hear you have to undego surgery again but surely this time they will take all the care and give you all the attention required...they dare not make a mistake, so you will walk again and we will be beside you.
  • Posted

kathryn what a blow to you ive had a revision as result of failed tkr its no easy journey  the only way to look at it is a least you have an answer you  knew you were not right at least now they are taking you seriously because until they decide that your in limbo ..   hopefully they will proceed with it soon here in ireland they make you wait till over a year  to let bone heal mine was complicated had to have rods as well as knee so i know where your coming from  its amazing what you can do when you have to  i so want to wish you the best we will support you through this and after  its a complete shock when you here something like that but im proof you  can get a better outcome plenty others have had problems on this site too  so dont think your alone i wish i had found this site last year when i had to go through this again

• Posted

Oh kathryn im so sorry to hear your news,especially as you were so upbeat about it the other day,i hope you will not have to wait so long,i too would be devastated if i had to start all over again..take care,we are all here for you xx
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I'm obviously stuck in limbo at the moment until I see my surgeon again in 3 weeks. I'll be led by him but if I have to wait several months (as its NHS) then I'm going to see if I can leave it until January. If I go ahead with surgery from September onwards then I won't be able to fly to Las Vegas for my mums 70th. If I don't go, she won't and then no one will. I'm sick of my whole life being about this knee. I'm hoping once it calms down after this investigative surgery, that I can just put up with it for a few months.

Donna, he has no idea how my ligaments have got like this. He got full ROM when fitting the TKR but it quickly reverted. I had suffered with movement before, it was down to about 20 degrees of overall range prior to TKR. He has taken several biopsy's to make sure there isn't anything else going on. I'll get those results in 3 weeks.

Anyway thanks for all of your support. I'm going to try to sleep. I only managed an hour last night in hospital so I'm pretty emotional. I'm sure I'll turn a page in a few days and be positive again. I've never been one to wallow, this is just the last thing I was expecting. You're all a great help xxx

• Posted

Hi Kathryn, it's very discouraging for sure. I hope that they figure something out for you and that you can move forward. I feel as you do..normally we're strong and independent and for some galling reason these darn appendages get us going when they just won't work as expected. I cried last week when I was talking to the darn benefits manager from work and I was so annoyed with myself over it. He was being a bit of an ass and I hated to give him any satisfsction but couldn't help it. I think you're right to take some control and decide when you want the next phase. ? Everything else seems to out of our direct control, in terms of recovery, etc.. so this may help you to feel that you're in the driver's seat. Please let us know how you're doing D xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.