Update on mysterious chronic ankle injury

Posted , 3 users are following.

FOr those who have not seen my other posts I have had a chronic ankle injury for almost two years. I first hurt it in january 2015.. I have have two MRI's, steriod shot, blood tests, physical therapy, ankle boots, brace, and have been on crutches for about 6 -9 months. I am not going to more and more doctors. I have an apointment for a ortho doctor on friday and am getting a rumotologist appointment. 

My ankle is constantly swollen and I am always in pain. It goes numb and gets discolored. Their are small lines on it that don't go away nd make no sense. I have no strength and it gives out. 

I am still chugging through as best as I can. Still a mystery. If their is any ideas to help it more liveable for me please leave them. As a 14 year old about to turn 15 and in highschool being on crutches is not very easy to do. Anything to make my life easier is something I want to try. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Just wondering, has any dr actually looked at your ankle to check for instability? 
    • Posted

I had a chronic ankle injury and all the Drs kept telling me there was nothing really wrong. That I had CRPS. I did have ligement damage on my MRI which I know yours didn't but I still think it should be looked at. They might be weak? The dr would have taken your ankle on one hand and your foot in the other and gently pulled your foot forward. It was aging hen he did it but it tuis now out my ankle was partially dislocating. If they haven't looked at this I'd advise you to see an ankle surgeon and ask him to do proper range of motion checks and ankle instability. ??

• Posted

Sorry, I meant my when the dr looked at my ankle it was agony but it turns out my ankle was partially dislocating. 

I meant get surgeon to an check ankle instabilty check. 

• Posted

I go to an ankle orthopedic doctor on friday. I have already seen a profesional orthopedic ankle surgeon the best in his business but thay want to try another. I just want answers because I am 14 and I really need a life. 
    • Posted

Yeah fair enough. It's terrible. I'm 34 and it's been terrible. Also have hip issues. Be firm but nice with these Drs. Have you had simple X-rays? 

• Posted

The other thing it could be is synovitis? Scar tissue build up? These things don't always show up on MRI's or they might be worse than the MRI shows. Just a couple of thoughts ??. I had an ankle reconstruction etc 16 months ago but have had pain and swelling since. I had a steriod injection about a month ago but it been terrible since with really poor range of motion, pain and swelling. I might need arthroscopy (camera into the joint) to clean it again. 😞 Good luck ??

• Posted

Thank you and good luck to you too. I know it is difficult because not that many people truly understand and I have developed depression from dealing with this but I learn to deal with it.

• Posted

I have the same issue, my ankle has sprained one year ago and all the doctors i have visit told me that there is no problem all i need is strength exercises but i went to three physical therapist but it didnt help. My ankle still swelling and hurts. i will never give up. I'll try everything that would help me to get better. Wish you a good health.

And sorry for my weak english 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.