update on ongoing sciatica

Posted , 3 users are following.

Finally relented waiting for app. for epidurals for sciatic pain . Consultant is doing 3/4 injections. 1/2 into both L5 descending nerves. 1 into SI joint left side.1 into facet joint L5. Should alleviate pain for 6 months. Will redo twice if needed. Hope this is the end of chronic pain for 13 months. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan, I had the same treatment that you are waiting for. I had six injections on the left hand side and six on the right hand side of my spine, also an epidural block for sciatic pain from ruptured discs. You will be kept at the day hospital for quite a while after as your legs or leg will be totally paralyzed, a strange but not unpleasant feeling. It can make a huge difference for many people, just to be pain free is amazing, even if it is not permanent it can be redone. I sincerely wish you the very best, I  must quickly mention the feeling returns after a few hours minus the sciatic pain for very many people. Good luck, take care and be kind to yourself, deirdre.

• Posted

Thank you deidre, i hope it works if only 50% pain relief will be lovely. Ican then start looking for employment again as i need to get involved with the outside world again. 13 months in pain is no fun. Will update after injections.
  • Posted

Update on caudal and facet joint pain relief injections. Had 8 injections at the end of July 2014. Gradual reduction in pain and pins and needles over the last 4 months. I has set backs occasionally when pain/stiffness and pins and needles increase but, i am now at a stage of only 5% pain in lumbar area. Stiff back most of the time which is only a problem the 30 mins after waking. i have got rather heavy and slightly sore muscles in both legs which has slowed my walking. But, i believe this is due to the narrowing of csf space caused by disc prolapse thickening ligaments and slight spinal artiritis. It has taken 18 months to get to this stage!! My osteopath did say 18-24 months for full recovery. I am due at pain clinic again in Jan 2015. Slow but sure im recovering smile

• Posted

Hi jan

I wish you the very best.Sciatic pain is very unpleasant.

i hope you get better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.