Update on throat lump

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. As many are troubled with LPR (Silent reflux), I thought I'd give an update. My doc has had me on omeprazole for months,I can't say its made a huge amount of difference. I had an appointment with ENT yesterday. They used the nose camera,not the worst thing but the Dr was a bit ham fisted and it did hurt a little. He said he could see red areas which would suggest acid reflux. Afterwards he said he would like to see behind my voice box,which would involve a general anaesthetic. I'm not sure if that's usual or not,or if I should be concerned,or if he is simply checking for acid damage to my voice box. I'm not 100% sure I'm going for it, a general anaesthetic seems extreme

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

General anaesthetic is not so bad. I was wary of it first time but had it for endoscopy it literally took about 20 seconds to work and I was asleep then I woke up find. No problems. I've also had the camera down the nose more uncomfortable than anything! They saw acid at my voice box but not behind it. Anyway hit wanted to let you know my experience. It's seems scarey at first but it's not so bad at all!
    • Posted

Hey thanks for that. Did you have a general for them to see behind your voice box too? He said they just can't see behind it without a general. I didn't like him much to be honest so I'm not that confident in what he told me lol
    • Posted

Yeah I wasn't a fan of my ent too sometimes you don't feel safe with them. No general just a numbess nasal spray before camera I don't know if he saw behind voice box but I did see my voice box on camera with acid in it.
    • Posted

ah thats the one i had yesterday, i didnt want the spray as id had it before and didnt need it.  He did see my voicebox, but apparently to see behind it you need to be out. So he said.  Today though my throat really is a bit sore and bruised feeling, not sure if thats expected or not or just because he really wasnt very gentle
  • Posted

Hi JMCG

I have recently had the 'nose camera' and the results were as yours, red areas. I was asked if my voice had changed to which I answered that I did not think so as no one had mentioned this to me, I think if I had said yes then he would have suggested what you are having. I am not on any medication even though my throat is painful most of the time but I keep reading on the vaious posts on this site that the side effects are not good and it makes me wonder if we are better to try and manage our problems more naturally. I have started a more healthy diet so hopefully that will help. I do sometimes think that possibly I do not have 'Silent Reflux' because my real issue is the lumpy painful throat and not heartburn. I also had an Endoscopy which did show signs of a Hiatis Hernia so no doubt this is all connected in some way.

All the best

Robin

• Posted

Isn't the lumpy painful throat not also a sign of Silent Reflux?

​@charmeyne. For me PPI also didn't work (at all), it made things worse. I think my stomach valve just doesn't work well enough (maybe because of a sliding hernia, but I didn't have research on that). When the valve doesnt work good enough, it's possible that acid/pepsine can reach the throat with liquids or air coming up. PPI doesn't always make the valve stronger or the stomach acid more normal.

• Posted

That was the reason for my visit, my voice.  I don't have much disconfort with my throat or bump.  She did check the back of my throat and voice box find acid and red areas (mild)  The direct laryngoscopy which is done like an endoscopy is to check the lungs and ribs.  They can check your voice box from a local visit to your ENT at his office. 
    • Posted

they can check the voice box in general, but cant see fully behind it while awake im told.  For many the limited view is enough,but for some reason my ent guy is determined to see behind it.  Ive not decided if im going ahead with it however, not entirely sure its necessary
  • Posted

Funny, I saw my ENT yerterday as well and he did a  laryngoscopy which he also did via the nose (normally done via mouth). I have no problem with the long tube on my nose. She checked my voice box and the back of my throat.  She did say I had acid on the back of my throat (mild)  and she also saw red areas,  Now, is to my understanding they can check both from a local laryngoscopy at the office. I actually asked mines if they can do the 3rd one which is a direct Laryngoscopy but she said I already had that checked when I did my 4 endoscopys.  Now, they only do the direct laryngoscopy to check the lungs and ribs, not the voice box.  So I believe your Doc is not to good with this and he took the short cut for him and the long cut for you.  Medication? I was put on Pantoprazole 40dr and Zantax at night for 3 months. I have used Omeprazole and Zantax before and they did nothing for me.  In my case I have no heartburn and any normal symptoms from Reflux. But for sure my voice is not getting any better. No more Christmas songs for me ( atleast for now)
  • Posted

Forgot to mention I also have heaviness on the middle top of my chest. lower part of throat and she said acid in that area could create upper chest heaviness as well.  And when this happens which is daily for 12 hours my breathing gets heavy as well. ;-(  Like everyhting else, when I lay back is when I feel the best.
  • Posted

Jeezo, my entire previous comment was deleted by a moderator due to me linking to a useful web md article about LPR... Draconian, much?
    • Posted

I know its crazy,they don't allow links but they allow people to come on and five amazingly harmful advice sometimes. Mental!
    • Posted

MairiM,

The reason the post was deleted is because we have had a lot of users recently trying to add links to WebMD. The manner of the posts suggest SEO posting. All you have to do is as above and say Web MD have an article, users can easily find it by using Google. 

jmcg,

If you think users are posting harmful advice use the Report link to draw it to my attention as I cannot read every post in the forums.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan,

​Many thanks for your useful and helpful explanation. As I work in IT, I totally understand how "google-bombing" works, and the potential for misusing it. I'd therefore recommend that you suggest to other people an alternative search enging (e.g. Ask, Bing, Dogpile, DuckDuckGo, Wow, Yahoo) instead of persisting in encouraging the use of the worst offender (Google).

People who make the switch to a better search engine will quickly find out that they have fewer virus infections, too - virus writers LOVE Google for how easy it is to manipulate the results. Stay safe and healthy! smile

• Posted

Many people will SPAM forums like this so I can't really blame them.  They can't be going to each link people post to validate the content so is better if they just don't allow any.  Next time just write the name of the site with no link.
    • Posted

Hi papote,

​My issue was that I posted a valid and relevant link - which was not published until a moderator reviewed it - and still found it lacking, which (until Alan offered explanation) seemed arbitary and unnecessary. However, now that Alan has given the reason, I understand that there's no harm, no foul.

​Move along now folks, nothing to see here smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.