Upped Citalopram dosage from 30mg to 40mg and feel worse - HELP!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm male in my 30s n Been on 30mg for last 4 years and it's been fab as my anxiety and depression went completely apart from usual day today feelings - had xmas from hell with bereavements and other family members having cancer plus I've got child number 2 due anytime now - my doctor said to up my dosage to 40 mg and put me on beta blockers to help with anxiety- since upping my Citalopram nearly weeks ago I've felt the worse I've ever felt - awful obsessed thoughts and constantly feeling horrible- will this get better over next few weeks ?? Please help

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anglio

I'm only on this drug for the first time I'm on week 7 . From what I have read upping a dose is just like starting again.

When I first started I felt awful for the first 2 weeks .

Just remember it's just the side effects that's giving you the thoughts and making you feel horrible .... They will pass !

Keep strong .

Debi x

• Posted

Thanks so much I just feel worse than ever plus with baby coming anytime now it's the anxiety of that plus feeling upset over my awful thoughts
    • Posted

I was taking beta blockers 40mg the first 2 weeks and they helped with my aniexty as the Citalopram was making it sky high.

Awh I know it's a lot on at the one time but just think it's only the Citalopram that's making you have the thoughts. Scary I know but promise you should start to feel like yourself soon and then you can enjoy your new wee one .

Debi x

• Posted

Thanks Debi76 I hope so I've felt so bad over last couple of months I've really struggled and plus I've not told my wife as she's got enough ok
    • Posted

Awh don't keep it to yourself I'm sure she will want to support you.

I've used this forum loads as its good to chat to ppl and some great ppl on here that know how your feeling .

If it doubt or need reassurance post that's what I do .

You will get there it just takes these meds a while to start but they will help .

Debi x

• Posted

Thanks so much hopefully these feelings will pass
  • Posted

i hope to get saloution
    • Posted

Hi Angelo, I am sure you will feel more settled in a few weeks.i have also been on Citalopram before and have found it a little harder this time around simply because of the waiting. Your initial side effects should start diminishing as the weeks go by. I suppose it's more difficult when you si desperately want to feel better for the new baby. How long have you been on the new course of Citalopram ? Just remember that you got well last time, and you will recover again, even if it takes a little longer. Good luck. Lee.
    • Posted

Thanks lee I've been on the new dose for two weeks now so not long at all But I've felt the worst I've felt in years so unhooking that passes soon
    • Posted

Still early days Angelo. I am sure you will feel a load better as the weeks go by. Chat to your wife, it may put you a little more at ease if you have her support. Good luck and keep going. Lee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.