Upped my dose-how long does it take to work? I have severe anxiety. :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was on citalopram for 6 years after my mum died, then I tried to wean off over a 12 month period... but unfortunately I had a bad relapse and had to go back on citalopram but I tried 10mg. This was this year... things were feeling ok. 

Then 2 weeks ago I had to go back up to 20mg, so I’m on day 14.. I feeling better in the evenings but the mornings are just awful!!! I’m loosing weight because I feel so sick from anxiety. 

Does anybody know how long it takes from upping 10mg to 20mg... I’m struggling so much 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

When I went back on cit I went straight on 20mg. I would say weeks 2 to 3 were the worst. Speak to your gp though. They may be able to give you do.ething to work alongside it. Good luck. I know how awful it feels x
    • Posted

Thank you Joanne! 

Do you think the drug itself messes with our anxiety

I’m hoping it’s not what I’m worried about (starting a family etc) 

If I’m making sense 

• Posted

Hi. Yes it is very common to increase your symptoms be it depression or anxiety. It will pass. It's awful and you have my sympathy as I know how horrible it is. Stay in touch x

• Posted

THank you! Yeah it’s awful. Hard to function. But just gotta keep pushing  through it. Glad to know it’s passes 🙂

• Posted

Hi, i was on 10mg for 2 weeks and had horrible side effects increased anxiety being sick not being able to eat increased depression, these stopped after about a week and a half i was still feeling anxious and depressed but i upped to 20 after 2 weeks and didnt experience any more side effects, im now on week 9 and only just starting to be able to live my life almost fully again. Still get bad days but i look forward to the good now

Hope this helps x

• Posted

HI Bethanie, 

It really is different for each person isn’t it? My friend said it took her 2 weeks and felt good again. Atleast I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Posted

Hi Ange I am going through the same it is so horrible my anxiety is so bad I get pins and needles in my hands does anyone else get this I can’t relax and have zero appetite I’m losing so much weight Im now on day 12 of venlafaxine 
    • Posted

It’s awful isn’t it!! I don’t get pins and needles, I get diarrhoea... butterflies, fast heart beat, feeling ill, no appetite, fear of everything!! Mine was triggered by wanting to start a family.. then I upped my citalopram and it’s gone worse.  So weird as I love babies and have always wanted a family, but I think it’s the fact I was my sisters birthing partner and I witnessed her in labour and it’s terrified me. 

But the increase of citalopram have over loaded me with more anxiety. Hoping it will settle and get back to my normal less anxious view of getting pregnant. 

Doctor has given me propranol to help with the anxiety side effects. 

I think pins and needles are a common effect from what your taking, it should subside soon x 

• Posted

Yes Carl I get the Pins and Needles too but mostly in the head. Every other day they can continue on for the whole day and really pick up at night. It doesn’t have to be a high anxiety situation they just go on and on as I’m sitting on my couch. And I went to my PCP and she gave me the Citalopram to help this problem. If this is a common side affect then there’s a good chance I’m screwed. Lol. I got to laugh because every other day by about 11PM I’m just about off my rocker and thinking Im going to mad., The next day somehow I get up and start the 2 day cycle again almost like Bill Murray in that Groundhog movie.. 2 and a half weeks on the Citalopram and seem to have a dull head, blurred vision , and a few other things. I’m just hoping that clock goes off one morning and like Bill Murray life returns to somewhat normal again. It’s tough when one part of you wants to dump this stuff down the toilet and the other part is saying give it some more time.  Good luck with those darn pins and needles. All I know is they got to go.  There’s got to be a way and I’m going to find it. I’ll let you know when I do.
    • Posted

Hiya, The symptoms will subside, I’ve been on citalopram twice ... mine have just started fading off after 2 weeks but everyone is different. 

You will feel better soon! 

I know it’s horrible 😑 

• Posted

They will go ..I too suffered the pins and needles in my head..paresthesia is called.. celexa did finally took that scary feeling away..and I totally agreed with the ground hog day ..
  • Posted

I have the tingling pins and needles. Bad stomach heart races and no appetite. Its just the worst. Lets hope our meds settle us all down soon. Thank god for this site. I dont feel alone xx
    • Posted

Hi Joanne how long have you had the pins and needles it’s so horrible 
    • Posted

When my anxiety is really bad I always get it. Diazepam really helped. It feels awful. Makes me restless and unable to sleep

• Posted

Some pins and needles, diarrhoea, sweaty feeling, lose of appetite, nervousness, it's awful. I was put on ciprimil to control my vertigo, vertigo is gone but now I have this other stuff going on.

• Posted

I find my pins and needles worst at night in bed or lying down and on my phone 

I had the dioreha for a while now taking probiotics to try help it’s hard especially when you can’t eat it’s really scary I’m going to the docs in a few hours and might try going back to my fluoxetine and see if that helps I just don’t want more side effects that’s the problem for me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.