upped to 40mg and now having muscle spasms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Citalopram 20mg for about a year. Recently my doctor upped the dosage to 40mg as I had had negligible improvement. I've been on the dosage about 7 days now, but last night I started having a muscle spasm in my right leg every time I started to fall asleep. Not sure what to do or if I need to be concerned or not. Any advice would be ggreat.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, 

You should speak to your doctor again as it's really important you increase your dosage slowly to allow your body to adjust.  It more than likely side effects but they can be unpleasant. 

• Posted

I did have muscle "shocks" and tensing when upped dose or changed meds, they went away after few weeks
  • Posted

Could be 'restless legs' which is a side effect.  If it is I don't think anything to be concerned about but a good idea to mention it to your doctor.  

I have read that exercise is particularly good to help, especially yoga, and Vit D.

If you've had negligible improvement after a year, it may be that you'd do better on an SNRI rather than an SSRI as they both work on different neurotransmitters.  Some people respond better to different meds.

Hopefully increasing your dose will do the trick though xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

muscle spasms can be a side effect of upping the dose and will pass in time. Talk to your doctor but I believe zinc and magnesium supplements may he here.

Any increase should be done slowly so make an appt to talk to your doctor.

Dont worry it takes time to get these meds just right but well worth the effort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.