Upper abdominal cramps/spasms, short duration/high intensity, seemingly unexplainable.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Greetings.

Since November 2019 I've been having what can best be described as epigastric cramps. They come out of nowhere, quickly rise in intensity for about 30 seconds, then last for roughly 30 seconds more. The pain is usually agonizing. Then suddenly things relax and in a few seconds it's as if nothing happened.

Things that can reliably trigger these cramps are certain alcoholic beverages, such as champagne or beer. 1-2 glasses are more than enough. On the other hand, vodka or whiskey cause no issues. I'd assume there was something about carbonation but then again wine causes cramps and cola/pepsi/sparkly water do not. I also have no problem with gluten.

Recently however I've been getting these kind of pains with no alcohol involvement whatsoever, and in those cases the pain is a lot less severe. Same location, same duration.

Since it all started, I've had several blood tests, 3 endoscopies, 2 ultrasounds, and 1 mri. Everything appears to be in order, except for the fact that I have chronic gastritis caused by bile reflux. But none of the doctors I've seen believe this to be a possible cause for my type of pain. I am a bit confused since there's some websites that claim abdominal cramps are a possible symptom of gastritis.

After months of treating the gastritis and significantly improving my diet/lifestyle, I am still unable to enjoy a simple beer. And sometimes I get that very specific pain for no discernible reason.

I'm a 34y old male, 178cm, 75kg, without any other health issues.

Any input is deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You have dyspepsia ( indigestion) which is causing epigastric pain.

If there is no underlying cause behind the discomfort, then it is termed as functional dyspepsia.

Take a second opinion from a different gastroenterologist.

You may also use Gaviscon syrup after meals.

• Posted

Thanks for your input.

I had no idea dyspepsia could come and go so quick. I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.