Upper Stomach Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

I got diagnosed with IBS about 7 months ago and for the last 50+ hours I've been having upper stomach pain when stretching and bending and sometimes when sitting, and it's worrying me now. Anyone know what it is or what I should do. I have no other symptoms just pain under my chest and ends just above my ribs.

Thanks. Only are 16

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This sounds very much like a build up of gas causing pressure.
    • Posted

Thankyou both, but can this last for 50 + hours. Because it is all over my stomach and it won't go away, could it possibly be muscle pain?

• Posted

Yes to both, some people suffer from constant gas pain that never goes away. The pressure can affect nerves and ibs sufferers do occasionally suffer from muscle aches as well
  • Posted

My last episode of trapped gas lasted 10 days, not that is any consolation for you!! After 5 days I saw my GP, who confirmed the pain was due to trapped gas. 

Mint tea, over the counter gas relief tablets, and brisk walking helped a little bit, but it was just one of those things that took time to go. I do sympathise though, it was extremely uncomfortable and I was begining to think it was a gall bladder problem, but I was reassured having seen my GP

Jan

• Posted

Bicarbonate of soda helps to release gas and so does milk.  Also try avoiding gassy drinks and vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts.
  • Posted

Tell your dr (Primary or GI, whoever is following your IBS).  I get stomach pain fairly regularly with my IBS - some months better than others - flare ups & breaks.  Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.