Upping dose

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anybody had any problems going from 10 to 20 I only ask as I have just upped to 20 and feeling bit nervous in doing so but to be honest I just wanna be the old me again

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I gradually went from 10 to 40mg. Sometimes it takes a while to feel normal again. I think it took me a month to feel the effects and feel better. I know it's hard but you will feel better soon
  • Posted

Hi James

I was on 10mg and am now in my third week of 20mg. I too was worried about the side effects as I thought they may mirror the side effects that I had when I first started citalopram. The side effects for me on 20mg was a little bit of dizziness and a bit of early morning retching. As of the last three days that has all cleared up and now I am feeling so much better. Energy apetite and enjoyment all coming back. 20mg has made a huge difference and I find myself wishing I had upped the dose sooner! Try not to worry, weirdly I felt an improvement on the 2nd day of taking the 20.

Wish you a better tomorrow

Lorraine

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I am so happy your feeling so much better bit I'm a bit worried u say you noticed an improvement straight away, I'll be honest I feel like I'm getting worse as the med is building up in my system, my stomach is at me more and tonight I read about a woman upping to 40mg of steraline and she got a panic attack now I'm worried that will happen me even thou it's a different drug and higher dose and entirely different person, different circumstances- internet makes u crazy lol.

• Posted

James how are you, I just posted asking the same question, I upped my dose to 20 a few days ago, I have been on 10 a months and was not convinced it was doing anything for me, I have since been looking up loads of threads discussing upping dosage and came across one person with a negative experience and of course I'm internalising that now, it's only been week for me but I increased in incrediments such as 12.5 for a night or two then 15 for 2 nights and iv been taking 20 now about 3 nights.

So far I just feel my stomach is a bit off, and my moods and anxiety levels are up and down, felt a bit lower, my jaw feels tighter and a pressure kind of headache, I'd be interested on how u are getting on, keep me updated, I hope it's worth it for us both.

• Posted

Only been 1 day but no major difference yet but will post again if any changes
  • Posted

I upped from 10-20mg 3 weeks ago, and everything improved from there. I felt so much better after about a week. I'm starting to feel like my old self again. I also didn't get anymore terrible side effects like I had been.
    • Posted

I upped my dose last week from 10-20mg because I felt like the 10mg just wasnt cutting it - I've been taking Cit for about 8 years on and off - I keep going through the same pattern - I begin the Cit at 20mg (I had CBT at the same time in 2011), it takes weeks to start to feel "normal" then I feel good for months keeping the does at 20mg. This drug really does work - but it does take time.

Then I get a repeat prescription and feel comfortable enough to break each tablet into half and keep going on the 10mg dose for a few months - then the doctor says that the 10mg has no efficacy and that I should come off the prescription. I have never been keen on the idea of permamently being on SSRIs so I go through this process all over again - I try that and then within a month or two I am down, anxious, fogged up - generally feeling lousy and the whole process starts all over again.

I run my own business and stress sets me off - as it has again this time (bills, jobs going pear shaped etc..). This week has been awful and I have felt really bad - like every day is a struggle - but I am determined to PUSH ON THROUGH... it will come round - I'm going to be a little less hard on myself about staying on them this time... 

As many people say - you wouldnt worry as a diabetic or with a heart condition. Keep the faith James - it'll get better.

• Posted

Hi James,

i don't think you necessarily have to be on these tablets forever and the DO work, I can tell you that from experience... You just have to go through the process and when you feel stronger you can think about weening yourself off them. In the meantime, give them a chance - remember why you sought help in the first place, and they will help with anxiety/depression - they do give you a chance to rediscover the "heathy you".

good luck and keep the faith.

• Posted

I was on diff meds but was worst on them but so far these are doing the tricksmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.