Upping from 20mg to 30mg

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone! 

Hope everything is going well?

I’ve been on cit  20mg for 4 & 1/2 weeks now. The side effects have been awful. Im still getting really bad headaches which is just making my thinking and anxiety worse and I’m still not sleeping well. I went to the drs and she has given be an extra 10mg to take. I’m so scared to take them because of the side effects sad 

I don’t know what to do. I need some reassurance xx

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

4and a half week May be to early still..why couldn't she prescribed ziplocone for sleep..at times not sleeping properly causes more ANXIETY... twenty already is a good dose...

• Posted

Hello, I think you need to follow your doctors advice, as 4.5 weeks sounds too soon. From what i can tell, 20mg is half of the maximum dose. Myself, I'm coming up to 10 weeks on cit. Anxiety seems to have got worse, concentrating has become more difficult, and im still losing weight. For myself, i dont think cit is the answer, but because ive given it 10 weeks, I think I've given it long enough. Im seeing my doctor on tuesday, with a view of trying something else. If you don't give it at least this long ie 10 or 12 weeks, you will not know for sure whether cit was/ is right for you. All the best. I think you need to stay with an antidepressant for at least 8 to 12 weeks, to be more certain about it working. Cit has had an effect on me, just I don't think I'm anywhere near recovery. All the best.

• Posted

Nigel your not recover on any ssri in ten weeks...trust me been there done that...they all work very slowly...and then to change Medications to a different ssri..to only get withdrawal .and then new ssri start up effects is best I think to stay on celexa little longer...just saying....
    • Posted

Hi Nigel, When I spoke to a pharmacist, they said that benefits from antidepressant can take 3 months for us to notice it.... I think they start working earlier but we dont notice it till after 3 months.... 
  • Posted

Hi Kate

Not sure if you are in the UK or abroad but see about getting some sleeping tablets, the lack of sleep will make you feel worse x

Think you should stay on 20 for alittle longer to see if it works for you ...

• Posted

Hi Raj, 

I’m from the UK. The GP has already given me zopiclone but I have ran out. I’m going to start taking Nytol Herbal sleeping tablets, hopefully they will help. 

I’ve just had enough. I feel trapped. Try distract from the anxiety but then the depression makes every thing so doom and gloom sad xx

• Posted

Hi Kate, I totally understand... Anxiety is draining for even the strongest person..... But you are doing everything to make yourself better.

I found that the herbal nytol didnt do anything for me, it just wasnt strong enough, but try them and see... if it does not work you can buy tablets called phenergan over the counter from chemists or boots which are anti sickness tablets but they make you sleep too. Its a blue tablet that is given to patients in hospitals when they cant sleep. 

Anxiety is horrendous but we are all in this together and will recover somehow xx I tell myself that millions around the world recover from anxiety using Citalopram and why would we be any different ? 

• Posted

Increasing meds isn't the answer and won't relieve your symptoms.  You can recover on 10mg, 20mg, 30mg or 40mg - everyone is different and the bigger the dose doesn't mean you'll get there any quicker - it just depends what is more suitable for your body.  I recovered on 20mg - yet someone else could recover on 10mg or 40mg.  

Yes 4 1/2 weeks is really early - its often around 3 months that you even start noticing changes and can be 6 months before you're recovered.  Some people recover quicker and some even longer.  

Only thing I can say is to persevere.  These meds often fox people into thinking they're not getting better - its just that they're so slow you won't notice anything for ages.

Each increase in meds increases side effects again, though they do wear off.

I'm not your doctor or anyone medically trained - just someone who's been through this and seen others do too.

K x

• Posted

Thank you. 

I know I spoke about this before but I’m just so lost and don’t know what to do. 

I feel fine in the mornings, it’s just the evenings I feel rubbish. I just want my brain to shut off and stop thinking. 

X

• Posted

hi katie49535

im the samr 5 weeks in and my doctor has upped mine from 20 to 30 first higher dosr today was very unsure about increase she also upped my propranalol from 30 3 times dailey to 40. really worried side effects might return as my 1st 3 weeks was horrendous which is why she put me on propra on week 4 does help with the anxiety a lot. as i daud worrird about side effects of morning anxiety coming back but surely the dr knows what they are doing so im going with it

• Posted

Yes Ally I think your dr upped the propane lol cos she believes it will damp down your anxiety. I was a nurse for 30 years and it’s amazing how many drugs are given not for the prime diagnosis but because of their side effect. Like propanalol is a bp  med but also minimizes anxiety. As Raj says we are in this together to give and receive support so post regularly so we can support you x x. 
    • Posted

Hi, I take propananol too.... it really helps me. 
    • Posted

Do you take anything to help you sleep? 
    • Posted

Kate the best tablets for sleep is ziplocone..can you get your doctor to write you a prescription..other than that try Benadryl
    • Posted

I still take my ziplocone .. because I have always since a child suffered from ansomnia...
    • Posted

Yes I do otherwise i wouldn’t sleep at all. I take brotizilam which gives me 7 hrs of deep sleep!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.