upping my meds nervous nelly should i do it advice please eeeekkk

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ola lovely poeple okay so basically I was at my doctors yesterday evening all my bloods came back perfect but iron was low so as you know im a bit nervous with the med so started on 5mg of esciltopram for two weeks then uped it to the 10 mgs for the last 3 weeks now my doc suggested i up it to 15mg prob tomoroow im so scared to up it as i had such a bad panic attack when i uped it to the 10 mgs around 7 days in on 10 mgs had to call ambulance to my office im so scared and i have such a strange feeling in my head like there is pressure on top of it when will all these symthoms go is it anxiety or the medication any advice would be apreciated like what if i take 15mg and it kills me or give me seizure or something worse am starting a new job in the middle of june and need my game face on that gives me a month hhhheeeeellllppppp.xxx

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Foxy,

Upping the anxiolytic medications may feel a bit scary, but remember The Doctor who is doing this is doing it just to reduce your anxiety, Istarted with the same and my dose was upped to 20 mg, there are some patients who are prescribed medications up to 50 mg even. Getting scared or thinking and worrying about anxiety is like poking old wounds, it helps only to delay the healing.

Escitalopram helps by retaining the good chemicals that are required for you to feel relaxed...

Do not worry, I am with you as a friend.

the feeling of fear, of losing control, of going into madness, are just feelings and they cannot harm you. Remember that.

When you feel you are going to have a Panic attack, just slow down, you will notice that you are taking shorter, rapid breathes. It's natural.

Follow these steps when you feel anxious, it usually helps a lot.

Based on the situation that you are in:-

ex:- You are in a library:- Close your eyes... Slowly, Kep your body limp...........and take in 3 deep breathes,

Try to breathe abdominaly..ie.. breath air into your abdomen not by chest raising... Slowly take in air taking around 5 seconds to breathe in 5 seconds to breathe out.... then pause.....

Try to imagine... as you are breathing in... that you take in positive energy, Fresh air, and when you breathe out, all your anxious thoughts are getting out.......From your Head.... then slowly from your neck and jaw.......then from your hands,..... to your chest........ your abdomen....... your legs... to the tips of your toes.... through your nose, Keep breathing slowly, and try to increase the time taken to breathe in and out..... Remember, I am with you...as a Friend.

Chin up you can do it foxy.

• Posted

thanks vijay so will i go up to 15mg whave you done this before like is it safe x
    • Posted

mean have eeek
    • Posted

like is it to soon after 3 weeks to go up to 15mg  im so scared
  • Posted

It is safe foxy, every week, your doctor will review your medication and How it has helped you... Based on your experience, he will decide to continue or raise the medications, 

Now just because you are on meds... does not mean you are going mad.... You are perfectly fine and in control, you just need some help in controlling certain chemical responses... that;s all... You will notice changes in a weeks time.... Give yourself the chance... Please.

• Posted

Don't be scared, it's fine to up dose when advised by your Doctor, it is a way to reduce anxiety.... Escitalopram can initially take some time to start working... that is why you might be scared, Trust me when you start feeling the effect.... YOU WILL KNOW and notice it as well.
    • Posted

okay so this is my 5th week any idea how long it will take  i know im asking lots of questions but you seem to understand
  • Posted

Don't worry.... ask away.

I feel it can take 2-3 weeks for your medication dosage to come into effect... it has to build up, this is usually the trying time for anxiety, as it tries to fight the medication figuratively... Just help your medications win, relax and take breathers.... You will do it

• Posted

really so have headache like pressure on head a bit sick in belly very empathetic on the mg three weeks tomorrow so hopefully going up to 15 will help hopefully not worse also feel so tierd waht are you on tell me your storey xx
  • Posted

Nothing Major, Was sickened by anxiety and Panic attacks... there was a friend who stood by me and helped me at the time.
  • Posted

Dear Foxy,

Ola Chica, I hope you are doing better now, Do let me know how things are,

You are a Good person, and are improving everyday.................... Have a wonderful weekend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.