Ups and downs !!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Those regulars to this site will know I ve been on quite a rollercoaster ride this last 18 weeks. Loads of dose changes and side effects. Having gone up to 40 I am now back down to 20.

Been on 20 15 days. I ve a goodish couple of days but today the dizziness and nausea is back as is the anxiety. I know I need to just push on at this dose for 8 to 12 weeks. The longest I have been on a dose was 6 weeks at 30. I know ups and downs are normal.

Is it generally a good sign I ve had a good couple of days even if today is not going well.

Really just need some reassurance. I am due to visit a couple of nurasries for my son this avo but a struggling to go out. Could really just do with some comfort as it is so hard to feel ok then not again. I just need some hope.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, just read your post, I only pop on here every few days.  I was just like you are (I know we have chatted before), but things will get better I promise.  I never thought they would, but now I feel 90% back to my old self.  Theres still a bit to go and I do have the odd flash back.  I'm eating again, not wretching every morning and I've gone back to work.  If you'd asked me a few weeks ago I would never have dreamed of feeling like this again.  

Once the medication dose has settled in your system you will start to notice moe and more improvement.  It is perfectly normal to have good days and bad days where you think 'yes I've cracked it' and then staight back to feeling c**p and back at square 1, unable to remember or even think about feeling ok the day before.

Keep going, you are doing great xxxx

• Posted

May I ask you what dose you're on and how many weeks it took for you to get to 90%?

I'm just over 3 weeks in 40mg. Thought I was getting better but anxious again

• Posted

Thanks Victoria

It is always good to hear when someone has made it out the other side. I feel dissapointed my dose was moved around so much as I would be 19 weeks in by now I stead I m 19 days on 20mg.

Unfortunately I got gastrointiritus yesterday and ended up in hospital overnight with severe dehydration. Obviously I am feeling crap today but I would be regardless. I am not allowed to handle my son and feel very weak and emotional. Feel a bit sorry for myself. Need to sleep but every time I wake up I feel anxious and disorientated.

Up until yesterday I was going okish....very up and down but okish.

Trying to work on accepting the anxiety but that is not easy.

Glad you are going so well. I hope to be where you are in a few weeks x

• Posted

Aw Sarah to have gastrointiritus on top of all this is awful.  The chances are you havent absorbed your medication either which wont be helping.  Just stick with it and you will get there - I never believed I would lol. xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Isabel 

I started on 20mg for 5 weeks then upped to 30mg.  It's been 16 weeks in total now (though now I'm not counting the days and weeks).  I'd say by 12 weeks I was really noticing the improvements, but still up and down.  The last 4 weeks have been somewhat miraculous in comparison to the previous 3 months.  That's not to say I havent felt any anxiety, but my appitite returned which helped as I didnt eat anything for 11 weeks (other than protein shakes and the odd bit of toast).  The thinking about the anxiety just got less and less and I do think that's the key.  When your brain switches off focusing on the anxiety it is so much bearable getting through the day.  At first my mind was searching for it, it felt like something was missing and I suppose I talked myself back into the feelings.

I'm still very causious, but definitely getting back to normal things now.  

xxxx

• Posted

Hi Victoria

Do you think you would have got better if you had stayed on 20mg ? I know you cannot know for sure but at a guess.

• Posted

That's my main problem I can't stop thinking about the anxiety and looking for it when I am calmer. Expecting it to come back. So I completely just cause it to come back. I try hard to not think of it and try and keep busy but it's hard. I get afraid of feeling happy and calm coz I am afraid it will get taken from me

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I know it has been a while but just wondered how things panned out for you? So hoping you're better now?

Like you I have been taking citalopram for close to 12 weeks now, (this is my 3rd time on it after 2 really good experiences) I spent 2 weeks on 20mg, then 5 on 40mg and now have had 4 weeks back on 20mg... I think overall I am better than I was but am getting very impatient with it and still struggling everyday. Would you stick on the 20mg for longer? xx

• Posted

Hi

It did not work out for me. I switched to another med. Felt better as soon as the cit was out of me.

The new med seems to be alot better but not perfect.

• Posted

Glad you have found something that is working better. I went to the doctors this morning and she wants me to change too. What are you taking now?
    • Posted

Venlaflaxine and mirtazapine. Not perfect but the cit just made me worse.

Good luck

• Posted

Keep going. If I was you I wouldn't mess around with the dose too much. Just my opinion but when I did I felt weird. I have had so many times where I've felt well and then awful again but the ok days come back. Don't stop fighting you can do this . I love this website. Keep swimming xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.