Ups and downs with prozac?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I started 10mg of prozac 9 days ago (Wednesday). I saw a great, gradual improvement the first 7 days. On Monday and Tuesday (day 6 & 7) I felt completely like myself besides small anxiety attacks in the morning! But then Wednesday I had heightened anxiety all day that never faded even at night (my anxiety always tends to dissapear at 5pm), and today my depression has started to return and the anxiety has stayed as well. On Monday I increased the does to 15mg, and on Wednesday 20mg (as instructed by my doctor). Could it be the increase in dose causing this?? Or are the ups and downs normal when you first start?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

It can take about 3-4 months and even longer to feel well.  It's perfectly normal to be up and down - recovery comes in patches - feeling good one day, not so good the next, maybe a few weeks feeling up then time feeling really low.  It's just how it happens ..... but the medication is working in the background, give it time to build up.  Also when you start the meds your symptoms will get worse before they better, and side effects happen each time you increase your dose.  You can't hurry recovery, there is not quick fix ..... but, it will come to you in its own time.

Just keep going, you'll get there.

• Posted

Forgot to add - count recovery in months, not weeks.  It'll happen very, very slowly. xx
    • Posted

Thank you! It's good to be reassured that there are ups and downs along the way and that this is normal. When I feel normal its like I can't imagine how I was depressed/anxious all the time, so its been throwing me off! Haha
    • Edited

I remember feeling like that too!!  When I felt well it was great and also wondered how on earth had I got like that ........ and then when it came back and hit me again, I couldn't see a way out.

From going through the ups and downs for months, I then got to a stage where I was just ..... 'meh'.  Flat, not down, not happy, but just a nothingness.  That lasted a few weeks and then I started feeling better.

Doctors don't prepare patients for this long road, and actually don't think they know.  They just prescribe medication and often say 'it'll take a few weeks to feel better'.  Errrr nope.  For some people it does, but very few, and  the majority of us go through this up/down period which makes people think they're not getting better.  We are ..... the meds work in the background and gradually little signs of improvement start happening - in fact so slow, you'll hardly notice it.

Some people say they can't wait months and months to get better ..... but there's nothing that can be done to change that.  For me, after years of being depressed, waiting a few months was a small price to pay ..... and anything was better than more years of depression.  I slowly recovered and have been well ever since.

It takes a long time to become unwell, and so it takes a long time to become well again.

The wait is so worth it 😊

K xx

• Posted

How long have you felt like yourself? And what did you take?
  • Posted

Reading this trail gives me a feeling of hope. I am in week 4 of Prozac. I just increased my dose to 30mg from 20 two days ago.  My anxiety is hovering in the background but has not had the tight grip on me I was feeling in the beginning.  It's like I can hear the negative thoughts but I know enough now to know they aren't sound or rational. I choose not to listen to them as much. 

Today i I took my dog for a walk for the first time in two weeks because I wanted to get out. My spouse has been making leave the house but the past two days I have had a small urge.  I tire out quickly and usually nap an hour or two when I get home. Is that the Prozac?  I hate how I feel after I wake up from a nap but can't keep my eyes open. 

I plan lane to leave my dose where it is for a few weeks. I think I need to give it time to build and get my days more stable...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.