Upset stomach with anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm 48 and have had various peri symptoms particularly dizziness for years now sad probably at least 7 anyway,  in the last 3 months anxiety has hit me hard sad I get so uptight about appointments that have been prescribed diazepam for occasional use (not daily and only 2mg) 

The worst symtom is an upset stomach every morning and I really hate it sad just wondered if anyone else has experienced this ? 

Thank you Deb x

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, yes I have had anxiety with nauseau throughout my perimenopause years, I was prescribed diazepam 5 mg take as needed it was most severe in the am, every am.  It is horrible, I have also experienced it going through menopause as well, what worked for me was low dose birth control pills, all symptoms subsided and I felt very well, then I developed HBP and was transitioned onto HRT at 50 and now am trying to wean off the HRT now at 58.... a bit nervous to do so but am trying.  If I find it unbearable I will continue with the HRT and take my chances, quality over quanity of life is more important for me.  Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi Loretta,

Thank you for your reply, very kind of you.  It's nice to hear that I'm not alone we these symptoms smile although I'm sorry you had to suffer . . . I find the diazepam help me a lot I just hope that my Doctor will carry on prescribing me the occasional prescription of 10 tablets.  If you don't mind me asking his long did you find you needed them for ?  I can't take Biryh control pills or HRT due to family history.  So not sure what I will do ?  Many thanks x

• Posted

Debbie, My doctor continues to prescribe them to me.  I have never increased the dose prescribe and only take as needed.  If you don't abuse your medication you will be fine, so don't be afraid to follow your doctors orders.  If you trust your doctor great, if you do not find one that you do I found that was most important to have a very honest relationship with my doctor.  Everyone is different, yet we seem to all have similiar symptoms some more than others, some people treatments are different and some people have greater tolerance.  So don't be hard on yourself and let no one judge you, you do what is best and makes your life enjoyable as possible.  Best to you.  Loretta.
    • Posted

Dear Lotetta,

Thank you for your reply smile I hope my doctor will be a nice as yours and continue to give me the ocassional prescription ! No I don't judge others or allow them to judge me either ! If they work for you and improve your well being then that's all you can ask for smile 

If you don't mind me asking have you had them for more than 12 months ? So many people say you can't have them for long, but I would be worried if I couldn't get them as they are so good at calming me down smile

Take Care sweetie x

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately anxiety and tummy trouble are some of the annoying symptoms we experience with this peri thing. As I am being told these will all pass soon. I am trying to keep cool but it's not always easy. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Take care

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your message ! I hope your right and that these symptoms will pass sooner rather than later.  I hope you will be better soon as well.

take care x

• Posted

I take a low dose duloxotine one a day to keep my anxiety at bay. No side effects as low dose x had citalapram in past but needs to be taken gradually or does make you feel odd but fine if built up slowly ( start on 10mg). I prefer duloxotine as works for GAD x but take lowest dose. Try the vitamins first though as Simba says. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Hi 

Thank you for your reply smile I have not heard of duloxotine but I'm glad it works for you.

Yes I am going to be trying the B6 and B12 vitamins.

Take care x

• Posted

My medications have been the same for 20 years,  I am trying to wean off of the HRT now.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply smile Good luck with coming off HRT ! I hope you will be ok . .  . Not sure why but I always feel much worse in the morning ! Could so easily take my tablets but I try not to and just keep them for really bad days x
  • Posted

Just stopping by to say i find anxiety the most troubling peri sympton too.  GP offered me ADs last week but I declined, I'm tearful not depressed per se.

I find rescue remedy can be helpful to calm you down.  I'm using magnesium spray too (made my own by buying a bag of flakes) as this does not upset my stomach and seems to work.

My iron sup (hemaplex) has B vits in and I take a spray of B12 subling too most days.

You will find your own way through, we have to and we are lucky to have each other for support and guidance.

• Posted

Hi,  thnak you for stopping by.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one smile please could you tell me where you buy your products as they sound good.

Thnak you very much x

• Posted

Oh this anxiety is definitely the worst part of menopause for me too.

Especially the racing heart and palpitations that come with it.

I had this bad l morning, it's such a horrible feeling.

I could cope with the hot flushes and other symptoms but this anxiety I hate.

I feel for you Hun, it's so horrible, know just how you feel.

I too take vitamins b6, b12, magnesium with calcium and zinc, vitamin d, omega three oils, I have noticed that after taking these for almost a month I am having more good days, so hopefully this will continue to get better.

Also Soya is very good, I got some toasted soya bran which you sprinkle on cereal or I have whole grain bread with seeds with honey on then I sprinkle the soya bran on top, I have only had this for three days so need to see if it helps.

Best of luck and hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Middlemus 

GP's always seem to throw antidepressants at us for menopause anxiety.

Like you say it is not depression its simple hormonal anxiety that passes after a while.

havent got a clue have they ..

you do right not to take them in my opinion .. I didnt either ..

take care Hun

jayxx

• Posted

Sorry i spelt your  name wrong 😢 Middlemuddle 

• Posted

Hi Tina

thank you for your reply.  I know the anxiety is my worst problem 😢 are you now past menopause or still in peri menopause ? Debbie x

• Posted

Have you looked at Candida and anxiety in menopause .Menopausal women get that Candida.
    • Posted

Hi

Rescue Remedy you can buy in supermarkets, savers, bots etc

Hemaplex and Shot-o-B12 are made by Nature's Plus, a US company. Available in independant health shops i think. On their website there is a link to find nearest stockists. They are quite expensive but for me worth it.

• Posted

Hello Debbie,  

I think I'm in the last stage of peri as my last period was over nine months ago now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed because they say once you haven't had a period for year then the peri menopause is over.

I must say also this last nine months has been the worst for me out of all the time going through peri, hopefully it will all settle down once peri is over.

Hope you fe we soon, god bless x

• Posted

Hi Tina 

yes that no periods time was the worst for me too ..

with emotions and anxiety etc for the first 6 months ( no periods) 

thats when i started the 150mg B6 etc and two weeks after i felt much better and more settled in my anxieties and emotions and energy ..

I am now 14 months post menopause .. ( no periods) 

jay xx

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I have been taking b6 and b12 the b6 I started a month ago and the b12 ten days ago.  I seem to be getting more good days (not all bad). So I am hoping these good days are more often.

Do you feel a lot better now you are post menopause ?  better then when your periods were stopping ?

Tina x

• Posted

Hi Tina 

its hard to say how i feel.. Just different ...

i think many women may assume that once menopause is reached all is dandy and you feel normal again like before you went i to peri ..

but for me i dont feel like before, and didnt expect too.

the only way i can explain it is..  Like imagine a chart ... Up and down chart .

Before peri the hormones spike high at ovulation.. Normal ..

during peri .. The hormones are like a big scribbly mess, on a chart, erractic hormones spiking all the time and all over the place ..

post meno.. Hormones are Settled but now low hormones like two even straight lines on a chart in low range ..

so with not taking HRT and doing natural route as i presonally chose to let nature sort its self out ... my hormones have naturally declined in the low zone . ' steady low but settled ' or settling still ..

i think we still need time to settle post menopause after 14 months i feel the odd flush still and then vaginal dryness begins .. But i now use Ovestin Estriol vaginal Ovules for that once weekly ..

more prone to vaginal discomfort post meno and UTIs, BV and thrush 

all due to lack of estrogen .. So for me i use the kindest estrogen ( estriol) vaginally and minimally only to keep vaginal walls plump, less dry and painful.. ( this seems to suit me ) its not full HRT and only assists with the vaginal dryness aspect..

i did try the ovestin vaginal cream but wasnt keen, as abit messy, but here they do ovestin Ovules vaginal and those i like ..

i have found this year ( summer) day flushes very severe, never had this before .. So for me it was due to the excessive spanish summer heat and i have never noticed this before in peri .. My hot flushes stopped two years into peri and then returned this summer..

so i can hope that next year all will settle abit more and the heat wont bring on flushes next summer ..

' A hot flush is the way we cool down during menopause ' 

over all i feel okay, but still some niggles to contend with ..

when my Gyno did the vaginal scan in August he confirmed i was post menopause ( after a 10 year peri) He said ovaries now non functioning and no follicles and my uterine wall was 4 mm and thin like it should be ..

all was normal in there ..

but also said the uterine wall may thin abit more yet.. So i assume maybe theres abit further to go ... With the hormone decline ...

good luck hun  

jay xx

• Posted

Ok thank you Jay, that's very helpful.

Sorry to keep asking questions, did you also feel shivery ?  I seem to be getting this alit ! X

• Posted

Hi Tina 

ask away, i dont mind at all..

no .. I dont recall feeling shivery..

only time i had a shiver has been on occasion after a hot flush ..

but not very often 

jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.