Urgent Help. Newly diagnosed IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone. I hope I get quick responses to this since I'm sooo soo tensed. 

so this thing started more than a month ago. I had a bad stomach flu. Went in emergency and the doctor treated it with instant drips and a week's medication. it was fine till then and soon after the medicines ended, I started having episodes of diarrhea again. I notices that this was happening whenever I was eating outside food or something spicy. This time I consulted a gastronentrologist and he gave me a medication for another week and uncountable blood and stool tests. i got all of those done and everything came out to be normal. On 16th july i again had diarrhea. This time I went to another gastroentrologist since the previous one's appointmenet wasnt available. i took all the reports and he told me that this according to him is IBS. As it started after a stomach flu and it triggers specifically when you're eating bad or taking dairy products. 

Now since then ive started to take care of my diet a lot. Im a big foodie and I havent even tasted anything junk since then. But I'm loosing weight despite my stools are now normal. I get stomach cramps whenever i take some kind of tension or stress and feel like i need to empty my bowel. But as soon as I relax myself, the symptom goes away. 

My major concern is that Im eating way too less like hardly one time in a day properly and that too extremely nonspicy and nonoily. So can I suppose that this is the reason why I'm loosing weight? 

Did anyone else too loose weight in IBS?

Or is this really IBS or some kind of cancer? ( according to google) sad 

Im just soo worried that Im unable to eat anything properly. 

Can anyone else please too share if they have faced similar issues like mine?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. Did you had antibiotics for your flu? If so, they also kill a lot of friendly bacteria in the gut. No it is not cancer.IBS is only a syndrome not a decease and could be anything. Also a very Fague diagnose. Try to reduce your fat intake and see what happens. I am on 40-45 gram of fat a day. And take Probiotics.

• Posted

Yup I was prescribed antibiotics for my flu and my stool tests were done after the course was completed. There wasnt any infection ruled out in the tests. Ive lessened my overall diet. Im hardly eating anything at all to be honest. Like just a cup of tea in the morn and then homemade fat spice and oil free food in the evening. I have become so scared of eating anything heavy. 

Should I go for an endoscopy? Though all my blood and stool tests came out fine and Im not even having any diarrhea now. 

• Posted

Yes have an endoscopy done, but you will see that the results will be ok. Like The said reduce your fat intake.
    • Posted

Yup I've reduced that to a great extent. To be on a safe side I should get an endoscopy done. Thanks a lot smile

• Posted

I had something similar like you after catching some viral stomach bug and developed post infectious IBS. I did lose lots of weight as most foods would really upset me and cause issues so food ended up going straight through me most of the time. 

?If its the same, you will need to follow the fodmap diet to see what foods upset you and it should eventually calm down a bit. 

?Also stressing doesn't help and the weight loss could also be due to not eating larger meals/ junk food etc as much as you used to. 

• Posted

Yes according to my doctor it's post infectious IBS. Did you loose weight in the initial stages of it or like slowly and gradually? I've lost 4 kgs in like just a month. Because whatever I eat comes out. This thing has gotten a bit better for the past 3 to 4 days but it continuously keeps haunting me to be honest and I believe when i'm stressing out, it gets worse. I'm already facing some personal problems these days and then the fear that hope that it's just IBS and nothing else.

For how long did your IBS stay? Did you get any harsh tests like endoscopy n stuff done?

• Posted

I had an endoscopy down mouth to check stomach etc and that was fine but didn’t bother with a colonoscopy as we knew it was post infectious ibs. I lost a lot of weight in the first few months as I didn’t really know enough about following the diet but another dr said you need to follow it and I put weight back on. Most foods are ok now but certain vegetables and fruits cause me issues. I got a lot better but still having issues two years later and cramps etc. Some people are lucky and it’s a few months and some it takes years or never goes back. You really need to follow the diet and I can’t stress how important it is as I reckon I did more damage by not following it first few months I was ill. 
    • Posted

Yup I believe that the first few months are crucial most. But I just need to be ascertain that it really is IBS and nothing else. For that I would ask my doctor in the next visit to recommend me an endoscopy if he feels so. Because I'm someone who overthinks about every lil thing and I know I wont be normal till I dont get sure about my diagnosis. 

Ive noticed that my symptoms go bad whenever I dont follow a good diet. But for the past 2 weeks I am literally barely eating anything so it's kinda fine. Im definitely gonna consult a dietitian once my IBS is confirmed. 

And yes I've heard that in majority of the cases it never goes back. I just hope that ours' doesn't stay long sad

Thanks for your time and concern smile

• Posted

An endoscopy? isn't very pleasant and if its post infectious ibs it may not really be necessary. I too was worried and you think of all these bad things like cancer, but I was fairly fit and healthy, 31 and it settled down following the correct diet. Be careful with fodmap foods though as some cause me real issues. I cant eat oats, tomatoes and foods with tough skins like peppers as they give me bad cramps and I feel exhausted. I can eat a burger though or bacon now etc and no issues.

In the beginning I followed a fairly bland diet for a couple of weeks to help settle it and avoided any skins even on potatoes, cucumbers. Avoided seeds, bananas as they are hard to digest for me and it eventually settled and improved fairly quickly. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problems. It sounds to me as if you need to be referred to a dietician as there's a diet called the FODmap diet which cuts out various fruits and vegetables and other foods but there's plenty on it you can eat. Sounds to me as if you're not eating enough of the right things. I've had IBS for 20+ years and the only time I've lost weight is when I was having acupuncture earlier this year. Anxiety is the worst  thing for IBS but it's hard not to feel worried when you're not well, but that just makes the IBS worse! If you get a lot of cramps Buscopan is good, also peppermint tea can help. I was put on Nortriptyline 2 weeks ago and it really seems to be helping. It was marketed as an antidepressant but then found to help IBS. Sadly with IBS it's a question of trial and error as people seem to get so many different symptoms so it's a case of finding what suits you and just trying to manage the situation. I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes exactly it's so hard not to worry in such situations when you know that something is wrong with you and the worst is that one is not even sure what and why this is happening. I feel like getting an endoscopy done so that it gets clear that it really is IBS and nothing else. Did you get one done when it happened to you? I at time stake antidepressants but it seems like they are not working  to lower my anxiety level. I'm planning to see a dietitian once my gastroentrologist confirms that it's definitely IBS.  

• Posted

Yes, I've had 2 endoscopies, one about 10 years ago which was normal, then one about 3 months ago. That one just showed a small hiatus hernia which doesn't require any treatment and a small harmless polyp, but didn't help with any IBS causes. Also had a CT scan at that time of my chest and abdomen, but that didn't show anything either. Try and have all the tests you can, and at least they may put your mind at rest you hopefully don't have anything sinister. Kind regards. 

• Posted

Im glad nothing serious was ruled out. Im just thinking of getting an endoscopy done if my doctor agrees which I believe he would. Did you get a contrast CT scan done or just a normal one?

Ive already had all the blood and stool tests done, Just these harsh ones are left lol. 

• Posted

Believe and trust your diagnosis of IBS! Worry and change of diet can make you lose weight.  If you eat less, you will also lose weight.  Do not worry!  Worry triiggers IBS flare ups. Do not google your symptoms. Believe your doctor instead.
    • Posted

Yes you're absolutely right, But dont you think  i should get an endoscopy done because I still fear that it can be anything but IBS sad

• Posted

Fearing it’s something more than IBS is very common with IBS patients. I would ask your doctor if you need an endoscopy.  Sometimes more tests can cause more anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.