Urgent referral to rule out cancer of the womb

Posted , 1 user is following.

HI, I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm worried sick.

I'm 42, 3 grown up children and I was sterilised at the age of 26 as I have always struggled with contraception for other medical reasons.

Ok so I've had fibroids previously which have caused very heavy bleeding and extreme pain, like worse than labour, having been admitted to hospital with the pain many times. I am also very anaemic through the constant heavy periods.

Over the last few months I was put on the depo injection, which I constantly spotted throug, and also gained a stone in weight, so my doctor took me off this but the spitting has continued. I have had no proper period for about 6 months.

I have, in the last two months, started getting severe lower back pain and my stomach is very swollen. My bladder is also very sensitive in the fact that I'm waking up in the night to go to the toilet, and visiting there a lot more frequently in the day also.I visited my gp on Friday, 8th May, and after an examination she told me that my womb is swollen to the size of a 4 month pregnancy.

Now I have only been suffering these new symptoms the last two or so months but I am worried sick it is more than fibroids. My Gp has sent off for me to have an urgent scan to rule out cancer. She said she is 90% sure it is nothing serious, but you can't help but worry.

Has anyone else had these symptoms from fibroids?

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gayle,

I have just read your post and just wanted to try and make you feel a bit more positive.

Have you had any blood tests? When is your scan? If your doctor has told you not to worry then I imagine there is a reason they said that.

My only advice to you is to get this scan done asap and ask your docs for advice. The sooner you get the results the better xx

Sorry if I haven't been helpful but I hope that you will try not to worry x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.

I only saw my gp on Friday so I am waiting for the scan appointment to come through, she told me it was being marked urgent.

I've had no other bloods requested apart from the usual fbc every 3 months I have to have done.

Hoping for a quick appointment to ease my mind.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Gayle,

Try not to worry. surely if it were your worst fears the blood tests would come back with something present.

Hopefully there will be an explanation that can be cured with medicine!!

I imagine you will hear something by tomorrow. If not give your doctor a call.

Thinking of you!

Positive thoughts

Giulia x

• Posted

Thank you so much.

Unfortunately I haven't had any bloods done for a couple of months.

I'm sure it is nothing serious too, but there's always that little doubt of worry. I just hope the scan is some time this week so it'll stop me worrying so much.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Gayle I know not everyone is the same but I was diagnoised with cancer of the womb last week and am due to go for a total hysterectomy on Tuesday. The only symptoms I had were spotting leading to more heavier like periods, I am 62 and had the menopause 12 yrs ago.I han'nt had any pain , Im sure you will find that you will be ok, think possitive...........Sue
    • Posted

Thank you Sue, I hope so too.

Oh you poor thing, I hope this clears it up for you and hope your operation is a success.

Best wishes to you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.