Urinary urgency and frequency

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had some feedback from some of you saying it goes away on about a month, has anyone had it continue for months? Scared to go to another ssri, not knowing what side effects they might have. Has it always gone away? Just wondering if it can become a permanent thing. One doctor tried to give me oxybutinin, but it also gave me more anxiety. They said they had never heard of that happening before, but online it lists it as a side effect. Trying real hard to deal with this. So uncomfortable. Anyone?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nancy

I am reducing citalopram and a few nights ago I was going every 15 minutes for three to four hours throughout the night. I hardly got any sleep, I couldn't understand it, I put it down to a withdrawal symptom. I can't remember if I had this whilst permanently on citalopram though in the early weeks.

I tried changing to sertraline a long time ago but that caused me to have blood in my urine so I had to switch back to citalopram. Not everyone gets this side effect in the same way you are getting frequency.

I know anxiety itself can cause frequency in urination.

Have you checked that you haven't got a urinary tract infection or cystitis?

With regard to deciding on an alternative anxiety med, why don't you have a chat with your pharmacist about it before speaking to your doctor. They may be able to suggest something that you can discuss with your doctor.

I wouldn't let it interfere with your fluid intake though, I would still drink what I would normally drink if I were you.

I hope you find a solution soon, try not to worry, I'm sure it will get sorted.

Best wishes

• Posted

when i leave citlopram 

i have like a diarrhea, and yes it take i think amounth or so

but it goes a way after the anxiety leave 

• Posted

Hi been on this now for 18 months and find I need the toilet often but it seems to come and go...!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.