Urolift done 15/9/15

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had the Urolift procedure done 2 days ago and thought I'd post my results now, and again in a week or so.

I am 69 and have suffered from BPH for many years which over the past few months has been causing very annoying symptoms of retention, frequent urination and nocturia (up 4-6 times a night to pee) Luckily I discovered this forum and received some vert helpful infsormation from Caringbah, Roland89296 and Kamokid. Hopefully I can share some of my experiences in helping others now.

I was concerned anout the radiation dose with PAE as I have had countless CT's over the years, and also wanted tp preserve my sexual function, so after a lot of research decided ro go with Urolift. The procedure was done 2 days ago (15/9/15), under general anaesthetic. The hospital, (John Flynn Gold Coast Australia) and nursing staff were excellent, as was my Urologist , Dr David Sillar, who took a lot of time to explain the procedure and put my mind at ease. he assured me that proving I was a suitable candidate (prostate under 80 g, no enlarged median lobe, and no high bladder neck) there was a very high chance of success. I qualified on all of these , (prostate size 60g) I was given a catheter while under general aesthetic, which was removed 6 hours later. I was then asked to void which was quite painful, with lots of blood, and a few clots coming out. Apparently the patient could not be released from hospital until he had two PVR's of less than 100mls. This was concerning as my previous PVR was close to 300ml. Anyway after my first void, residual urine was 71ml. A couple of hours later when I voided again it was only 17 ml ! Yippee! After an overnight stay in hospital I was then allowed to go home the next morning. The blood in the urine cleared within 24 hours, and already I have noticed an increase in the amount I void. (up to 250-300ml) The only afverse side effects after 2 days are slight burning still when urinating, and pain when sitting on a hard chair. This also makes me feel like I need to pee, so the frequency is still there

It is very early days but I am confident that Urolift has been a success. I will report again in a week or so

Mal

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

apologies for typos...typed this on my iphone😄
  • Posted

Much appreciated for taking time to post your early Urolift information.  I'm sure, along with all others reading your post, I hope your encouraging progress  continues.

As you pointed out about this forum, that thanks to many of the contributors, the various important first-hand feedback information from them is almost invaluable.

With regard to your not choosing the PAE option, I'll have to research that procedure somewhat more deeply as I didn't realise radiation was involved and/or associated with the relatively newish PAE procedure.

Thank you again for the post and wishing you continued positive progress.

• Posted

Hello Mal.  I am glad that it is working out for you.  I'm 60  Had it done in April of this year.  After talking with my doctor I had him put a catheter in after. I have a problem peeing on demand and was afraid of not being able to pee and the cloging.  Had it for 2 day.  Never had one before and it was a trip. But the best thing I could have done.  urine was clear within the first 24 hours.  After the catheter came out there was alot of burning but it was fine after a couple days.  It over 4 months and all is well.  Take care just drink alot of water  Ken    
  • Posted

Hi Mal,

Glad for you that you did the Urolift. I know how you feel. Everything a bid tender in the first week, I experienced the same, second week gets better, and at the end of the third week I pretty much felt normal again. Good luck. Please report about your progress.

PS I am now on my fourth month after Urolift. Still very good, life quality improved no doubt, sleep much better, wake up only between 1 and 2, sometimes even through. I may consider however to go for a routine check up just to make sure everything is still as it should be. Will also report back again.

Cheers, Roland

• Posted

Hi Roland.

Yes I'm so glad I finally had the courage to have it done.

I keep a small measuring jug next to the bed so I can record how many pees I do in the night, and also the amount. Prior to Urolift. I averaged 4-6 pees, with only about 80-100mls each void. The jug I use was 350ml maximum. Last night I awoke about 11pm, and still half asleep had a pee in the jug, and without out looking the thing had overflowed !  I estimated it must have been about a 380ml void, which is amazing after only 3 days :-) 

still tender and uncomfortable when sitting, but things can only get better :-)

• Posted

Just a quick update for anyone following this thread. (Idid a similar post on another thread but thought I'd update here as well )

I'm now 3 weeks post Urolift. My main problems before the procedure were frequency, retention and nocturia (having to pee 4-6 times a night)

The 1st 2 weeks I noticed an improvemet in flow, but nocturia had not improved that much, despite my early optimism. I also noticed sitting on a hard chair was very uncomfortable, giving me the feeling I needed to void, even if I had just done so. 

The past 3 days things are definitely improving,I'm only getting up 2-3 times a night now, and I'm confident that within a few weeks I will be back to pre BPH days :-) and I can declare Urolift a success. I'm also finally off Flomaxtra. 

(PS I had a 60gram prostate with no enlarged median lobe or high bladder neck, and my Urologist told me I was a good candidate for the procedure. He put in 4 "clips")

Will post an update if there is any change

• Posted

I'm happy for you.

Just so others don't get the wrong idea, there is no negative effect of a PAE on sexual function. In fact, many report improved sexual function after PAE.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.