UroLift Experiences / Catheter

Posted , 8 users are following.

Thanks to all who are posting updates on their progress and experience with UroLift -- good to hear both the good and the bad.  I'm scheduled to have it done on 8/18 (after canceling Green Light Laser last week) with a doctor in NC who seems very qualified and has done over 60 procedures.  I do have concerns about whether or not it'll get me to where I need to be in terms of flow (and the urgency / frequency I experience), but not so concerned if it's not a "lifetime" solution (I'm 47, and chances are that I'll have to do something else in the future).  

I'm glad to finally be free of a catheter i had for 3 weeks (after going in to retention -- apparently caused by taking a medicine called Merbetriq on top of FloMax).  I am able to pee again without too much trouble.  However, I now have a very wide / split urine spray I never had before.  Have any others experienced this, and do you know if it's permanent?  I did have quite a bit of pain when they put it in (and blood in bag for 2 days), and wondering if they scarred my urethera.  I'm trying to get in touch with the PA who took out the catheter yesterday, but hard to get a call back.  I hope this is not a permanent strickture caused by the catheter.

Thanks for any feedback.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Since you're in NC, wouldn't it make sense to investigate the PAE procedure? 

I know they're doing them (as part of a clinical trial, I believe) at UNC-CH.  And I think that Duke is also doing them.  PAE can shrink the prostate;  can Urolift?  People have been posting on this forum that often the procedure was paid for by their insurance company or by the clinical trial sponsors. 

(I had the Gat-Goren procedure in 2011, the only other procedure I know about which can also shrink the prostate. It's not done in NC.)

Good luck, fellow Tarheel.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback fellow Tar Heel.  I heard of PAE (don't know much about it), but I didn't realize that PAE is being done at UNC-CH (my alma mater, actually). I will do some research & read comments on the boards about it.  UroLift does not shrink the prostate - it just gets it out of the way.  I'm not sure what happens down the road with on-going growth -- probably additional clips would need to be put in (mine is only about 30 grams now, but is apparents wound very tight).
    • Posted

Well, your prostate seems small for someone getting BPH symptoms. Most of the guys with BPH-type problems report prostates in the 40 to 100++ range.
    • Posted

You might seriously consider the PAE.  I think it's less invasive - with no long term negative side effects.  Also, it doesn't preclude other procedures, if necessary, down the line.

Mine is in the 40-50 range, which isn't that big, but it's pushing right up against one side of the bladder, right next to the opening, consequently restricting the flow.

• Posted

had my propblems but sure seems like you have had a lot to deal with. 

Good luck with the prodecure and in the future.

Lou

• Posted

I've experienced the split stream off and on - even before I had LUTS.  I thought it had more to do with narrowing at the opening.  I never worried about it.

When i had the indwellling catheter i also had a lot of blood/pain.  They told me that just a few drops of blood can cause the whole bag of pee to turn red.

When i learned to self-cath it was much better and less painful.

I'm glad that you are peeing ok now.

I went in to retention over a year ago and have not been able to quit catheterizing since.  What put me over the edge were antihistamines.  My ration of natural voiding to catheter voiding had been about 1 to 1 for 9 months now.

May I ask you the reasons that you chose the urolift procedure over the arterial embolization?

• Posted

I've had a "spray " pattern too. I'm hoping it will go away after I get my prostate fixed.

Neal

• Posted

Hello Brooke.   I had the urolift done 2 weeks ago Friday.    My dr. said he used 5 devices.   I was unable to pee the next day which happent to be a Saturday so I had to go to the hospital to get a cath.   My dr took it out on the following Monday and after a half of a day they did an ultrasound and saw that i was retaining and thought that the prostate was swollen and needed a little time to calm down.    Just happen to be  that went on through the second week.   And I was committed to move my daughter to Austin from Calif.   so I ended up having to do that 3 day driving event with a cath.  I was surprised that it did not bother me at all.  other than that fact that I had a bag attaached to my leg.    Fortunatly I did not have to load or unload any furniture!

Anyways I go back to see my urologist on Tuesday (Sunday now) and they are going to remove it and have me stay local for 4-6 hours and go back in for an ultarsound.    Hoping to get it out of me for good,  other functions necessary other than peeing,   plus it is uncomfortable to get an erection.

Just say ing that after your procedure, you may have to deal with the cath for a day or so afterwards.   Hopefully not.    Im 57 so got a few years on ya so my system is taking a bit to acclamate,    you being 47 should be out golfing the next day!   Good Luck BRo!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.