Urolift Vs TURP

Posted , 8 users are following.

From a UK health article today

For an enlarged prostate, an extremely common condition that occurs with age, the standard last resort is surgery called transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) to relieve symptoms such as problems passing urine.

While very effective, this operation can damage nerves and surrounding tissue, which may result in side-effects such as impotence and incontinence.

UroLift is a 25-minute technique that involves moving the enlarged prostate tissue aside rather than removing it. This tissue is anchored in position with tiny permanent implants to relieve pressure on the urethra and bladder.

The procedure has many benefits: a reduced hospital stay (patients can go home the same day compared with a two-night stay in hospital with traditional surgery), quicker recovery (one week compared with six) and fewer post-op complications, which the AAC calculates will save the NHS around £2 million a year in England alone.

However, 'it is not an equivalent procedure to TURP and many urologists are not keen on it', says Mr Barber. 'With TURP, there is a 100 per cent improvement in urine flow and a 70 per cent improvement in symptom scores; compared with 50 per cent for both with UroLift.

'But TURP comes with possible side-effects including sexual dysfunction. It's a balance between the level of improvement you are likely to get and protection against side-effects.

'But men need to be informed that there is another option.'

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Nothing new here. Well I've had continual pain since urolift and need a TURP anyway now after just 9 months

• Posted

Derek,

I had a bipolar TURP three months ago. In and out of the hospital in 4.5 hours. Foley catheter in for three days after. Flow is improved, no pain, was very easy. No incontinence. A bipolar or plasma button TURP is NOT the same as the older style monopolar TURP. That MP TURP required a hospital stay to control bleeding. The bipolar and plasma button TURPs cauterize the bleeding after the tissue is cut away. My sexual function is not an issue since that part of my life was eliminated after radiation for prostate cancer five years ago, so I was not concerned with that possible side effect. I take Flomax and that med effects sexual function as well. PAE is probably the easiest BPH procedure and doesn't have sexual side effects. I had one but didn't work for me because of a median lobe that continued to block urine flow. Most here on this forum are very much against TURP but for me it was a good experience and I am happy I had it done.

Tom

• Posted

I refused a TURP in 1994 for my them 35 grm prostate as even in pre forum days the problems were well documented. I considered the few other options available at that time and decided to wait for one of the laser procedures being developed. It took a long time but I survived and avoided any kidney or bladder damage and my PSA up to 9.8 resulting in two negative biopsies.

• Posted

Derek,

In 1994 doctors were doing the older style monopolar TURP, not the new bipolar or plasma button TURP done today - very different.

Tom

• Posted

Yes that is true.

The new Turps are much better and with less bleeding but they still come with the same side effects.

Men just to to ask question and get all the information they can before they do anything.

Ken

• Posted

Hello Derek & All

Yes this is true. These are 2 procedures that are being used. Mr. Barber sent me a e-mail that if you are concerned with your sex live by all means have the Urolift 100 % no side effect.

But some doctor still do the Turp procedure because there main concern is to get you to pee better. But if you look at the Urolift it does the same thing as a TurpIt makes a tunnel with no cutting.

I agree with Derek you have to be well informed whatever procedure you pick and please if you do not understand ask questions. Remember it is your body and you are the one that will have to deal with the side effects

All the best.....Ken

• Posted

An aside to the article it said that 1200 Urolifts are being done each year in the UK, Strange how it is just being compared with TURP when NICE and the NHS have in other years plugged GL, Holmium laser, Rezum and others. With them cheapest is best.

• Posted

Derek

I guess they are going to save money anyway they can

Have a great day...Ken

It's almost time for bed for you. Sweet dreams

• Posted

Urolift does help some i had it done almost 2 1/2

yrs ago. My symptoms weren't too bad. Main issue

was bladder stones and recurrent utis from the

enlarged prostate. Flow was adequate not great.

Results have been good. Flow is good but probably not as good as TURP would be but no

side effects sexually. No bladder stones or urinary

bleeding from stones so far . I have had a couple of

utis but handled with antibiotics. Who knows how

long it will last but so far ok

TOM C

• Posted

Hey there Tom

I had the Urolift done because I did not what to deal with any of the side effects. Flow is good and sex is still fun. I have been on Vesicare 10 mg for a year. Doctor found out I have a tight external sphincter. Been over 4 years still wide open. Have a great day......Ken

• Posted

Why have the bladder stones not been dealt with ?

• Posted

Sorry i wasnt explicit enough. Bladder stones were dealt with at the same time Urolift was done . They

were broken up and removed. Don't really know

which order they were done -probably bladder stones first for visibility but I don't know for sure

TOM C

• Posted

My Urolift failed and I will not have TURP done unless I am urinating through a catheter and give up sex.

• Posted

I might consider that but I would have to find a GOOD Urologist that does that procedure.

• Posted

I think that GL is an easy procedure to do. As my Uro said it is a very gentle procedure. Holep and Thulium/Holmium are more complex.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.