Urticaria - doc confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm in the throes of my 2nd ever attack of Urticaria/hives (or Itchy-Scratchy as I have nicknamed it) .  I've had it for 3 months now but last time I had it for more than a year.  I;ve no idea what triggers it, neither does the doc.  I take 10 antihistamine tablets a day (Fenofexadine, Ranitidine, Phenergan and Chlorphenamine) spaced out throughout 24hrs - they don't seem to work. My local pharmacist just shakes his head saying he doesn't know how I function daily coz the dose is enough to knock out an elephant!

When the itching becomes too bad to bear the doc give me Prednisolone x6 for 5 days and the urticaria disappears within several hours.  But 2 days after I finish the steriods the hives return, with a vengeance - all over my body, eg 24 hours on the legs, they go and I have them 24hrs on my torso etc etc...

I use Aquaeous cream with 2% menthol to quell the itchiness.

I have read comments on this forum and will take notes to the dermatologist next week (I've been waiting for an appointment for 2months). I hadn't heard of the Zolair injections or Dapsome/Doxepin/Hydroxyzine.

If anyone can recommend anything or has hints/tips to help me through this, I'd be grateful.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Canisp

Actually it's Xolair injections....I believe I might have misspelled it on an earlier post.  Dapsone worked well for several weeks but I had to stop it as it affected my red blood cells. Doxepin is actually an anti depressant but has a antihistimine in it....you take it before bedtime and does help at night....the Hydroxyzine helps 

to sleep and helps with the awful itching. The Xolair injections seems to help a lot of sufferers of CU.  I am now coming off of prednisone slowly.  I had to go back on it to build up my blood cells......and pray that when completely off the prednisone the hives won't come back........they have in the past..... but I've been on prednisone a longer time.  It has been a blessing to be hive free during this time.  Allegra 2x a day morning and evening used to work for me the last time I broke out many years ago but does not work for me this time...maybe because I'm older.  Some take 4x a day which I haven't tried. Some say any antihistamine do not work. I have been on prednisone for at least 5 weeks starting 60 mg and slowly tapering down...I'm now on 10 mg then will go on 5mg then 2.5..... Then done....and pray I've knocked them out that's what my Allergist/Immuologist hopes!!  Please keep us posted with how you are doing and what the doctor says for you.  Someone talked about teas and herb drinks and is doing well...I asked them yesterday what kind of Teas and herbs....no answer back yet.......I wish you well.

Wendy

• Posted

While I was waiting to see a Dermatologist, my GP gave me Hydroxyzine, I started with 10mg/day [at night] but increased to 25mg.  I had to take it at about 7pm, otherwise I didn't wake up till about 9am!  

The Dermatologist put me on Prednisolone and I was on that for 3 years.  The Pred stopped the itching completely.  The Dermatologist also gave me Dermovate cream, which is the most potent steroid cream available.

You need to find out the cause of your urticaria, then the treatment will follow.

I have an autoimmune skin disease and was prescribed Methotrexate as a steroid sparing drug, which was how I was weaned off the Pred.

It will be interesting to know how you get on and what they think is the cause.  Good Luck!

• Posted

I agree that we/they have to find the cause or trigger. Dermatologist said last time it is pressure urticaria but it's been gone for 2 years - why did it come on again the week before Christmas just like last time? Nothing in my life has changed, my bloods are normal, no stress in my life (happily).  I will mention Hydroxyzine and Xolair to doc next week.  I need answers.... Will keep you posted!
    • Posted

Hello

my uticaria appears to be an autoimmune problem brought on by stress. I have had 3 breakouts in my lifetime each lasting almost two years...I'm 63 now and this time is the hardest to control unless I'm on prednisone.  I wonder if your Prednisolone is the same as Prednisone.  I live in Virginia USA...What dose were you on during the 3 years you were on it!  Have you had your bones checked ? What happened with the hives after you stopped the Prednisolone?  I will let you know how I am when I end the prednisone this time....I'm down to 10 mg...tomorrow 5mg for 4 days the. 2.5 for several days.  Have a good day.... Good wishes !  Wendy 

• Posted

Hello

Do you get a little stressed around Christmas time...getting ready for the season? Do you get a fresh Christmas tree?  Just a thought......Mention Doxepin as well.  Keep in mind that the Xolair is used for Asthma as your doctor may say....but evidently works very well with a lot of urticaria patients.

Best Wishes

Wendy

• Posted

Wendy I never thought of that (the 'stress' nice stress) of the festive period - my 2 girls also have birthdays shortly before Christmas - making the month of December a totally busy time...When the urticaria strikes it seems to affect my insides too ie. windpipe and oesophagus seem to swell almost like anaphylaxis meaning Xolair may work. I'm 57. 

I wish you all the best also.

• Posted

Hi

Where do you live?  Are you in the UK? I am in Virginia, USA. The Xolair monthly shots are very expensive .  I don't know how your medical insurance works. Here in the US many insurance companies will not cover the cost.....however if you tried antihistamines and nothing else works to take the hives away then the doctors work with insurance co......then it would be covered. It may be very good for you!  Please keep me posted.....so glad we have this to share with each other!!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy

I live in North Scotland and should be covered by our NHS.  I had an appointment with the dermatology last week and he said I should get my thyroid function sorted first so it was back to the doc for more blood  tests and my daily thyroxine dose has been reduced to 150mg with a recheck in 8 weeks. Meanwhile, I am still on chloropramine, Fexofenadine, phenergan and ranitidine and the red wealds come and go but never totally disappear.

At least, with all that antihistamine I do sleep well (even if it is the middle of the dayy)!

Canisp 

• Posted

Hello Canisp

someone sent me information about low Vitiman D.......ask your doctor to check blood for low Vit D.  If so take Vit D3 by prescription from doctor.  Google research for Vitiaman D Chronic Urticaria. I have been taking Vit D3 for a few weeks.

the best to you....I am coming off of long term prednisone...I'll keep you posted.

Best

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy

You'll be happy to come off the Prednisolone.

I woke up this morning to a lump above my left eye on the eyebrow...what the...?  I'm taking all my tablets and haven't changed my daily regime in any way...thoroughly fed up with this...

• Posted

Hi Canisp

im so sorry to hear about your  not wanted lump this morning!   Have you looked into checking out to see if you are low in Vit D?  Also I read about going off of carbs...totally.....it help someone with urticaria so I am trying that...she lost 13 pounds by doing that.  I'm still on very low dose 2.5 mg of prednisone and still no hive but I'm taking D3 and cutting way back on carbs to no carbs...  Let's try it!  She said....no bread,cereal,potatoes, pasta, fruit, juices, desserts, flavored yogurts,fizzy drinks.......carbs cause inflammation.....good foods are eggs, cheese, bacon, meats,fish,seafood and drink lots of water! Worth a try...and good for us as well!  Has the lump gone down?  I hope so!  Take care...tomorrow is a new day!

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy - a wee update from me:  2 days ago I didn't have one itchy blotch anywhere on my body.  Nothing has changed in my life or regime or diet except that it was Easter.  So, I carried on with the anti-histamines as before but wore a bra for the first time in weeks and decided to go back to the doc to show a result.  Well, today the pressure urticaria on my tummy and chest is back...not full blast but the itchy blotches are there again...I give up.  Back to the drawing board.

Hope you're doing better.

xx

• Posted

Oh Canisp.......I am so sorry to hear that those itchy blotches came back!!  Sounds like maybe they are on there way out though.....a little off and on....then GONE! Drink lots of water and stay away from the carbs to help your body rid of those hives!  I am almost off the Prednisone .....tapering way down.......I pray they will stay away....I'll keep you posted.

Please keep me posted on how you are doing

Best,

Wendy

• Posted

I am using Calamine lotion for itching these days try that one it really works. Plus i am alot better now i guess homeopathic working on me this time 
    • Posted

Hi Sophia

can you share with all of us what is working with you the Homeopathic way....we would love to hear from you!

thanks

Wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.