Us and Them

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it useful to have everything regarding our mental health scrutinised and given a label?

I am not refering to severe mental illnesses schizophrenia or the like.

What I mean is depression, anxiety, stress related disorders etc.

Doesnt everyone in the world suffer from this from time to time and to various degrees? and because we admit to it and Seek help for it . We are stigmatised by those Who dont. For fear of not being" normal".

Will we ever get to a point where people can accept an emotional state is normal and nothing to be feared ?

I wonder what Everyones thoughts are?

Jo

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo.

I think it depends on the degree of anxiety. I think there is such a think as healthy anxiety where it makes us get up and get things done but then there is the scary debilitating anxiety which has the ability to take over and ruin people's lives.

Im quite a fast paced person. My life runs like the energiser bunny sometimes and At these times I have what I would consider healthy anxiety. It helps keep me motivated,driven and on the go.

At present I am going through a episode of extremely frightening anxiety that is threatening to do the exact opposite of what the healthy anxiety does. I want to curl up and die until it goes away....I want the dizziness,Tiredness and disoriented feelings to stop.I want my concentration and focus back.

So I wouldn't consider myself the same as everybody else and I'm certainly not at present the person I was. That girl seems lost right now and it takes every bit of strength for me to carry on in hope of getting back to the real me.

• Posted

I understand exactly where you are coming from Gillian. I have very much the same issues regarding anxiety. I think the point I am Trying to get accross is we are not mad, bad or anymore dangerous than the average person in the street.

We just admit to our flaws a little more readily and because of that we are fighting the illnesses and the predjudice that still surrounds any form of emotional instability.

It would aid our recoveries and acceptance of our illnesses. If we recieved understanding not judgement.

• Posted

I guess the hard thing as well is you dont want to go back to the smae person that got anxiety. But you want some of those traits you had to come back that didnt cuase anxiety
  • Posted

Jo,

It would be nice if the world was that way but it's not. I don't discuss my mental issues at work or with just anyone because they would judge me.

It really blew me away when Robin Williams commited suicide a few months ago. I had no idea he was depressed because he is such a great actor and he was hiding his sorrow behind his comedy.

It's better today then the 70's when I grew up. When I was in the hospital my parents said I was staying with my aunt so everyone thought I was at a home for unwed mothers!

So many people really need help but are too afraid of losing face. Is it any wonder some of them eventually explode with rage and kill themselves or others? The school shootings have always bothered me. Didn't anyone notice that their kid was isolating or flunking out of school?

It would be nice if parents were aware of the warning signs. I knew when my son was depressed because he wouldn't get up or go to school. He spent too much time in his room listening to Marilyn Manson, he was a mess. His appetite changed and he just ate junk food. He refused help so I lied to get him in the hospital. He came out 3 months later feeling a lot better and on meds. He ended up graduating which was great. I saw the signs and helped him to get what he needed. It helped that I had depression at his age and I didn't want him to feel that awful depression or take his own life.

• Posted

My biggest problem in life is admitting that I struggle with Depression and Anxiety .

I have always worried what other People thought.

In reality what does it matter?

My New Years resolution is to accept myself for Who I am flaws and all.

So I am not the bluebird of happiness 24/7 and my emotions get the better of me more times than I would like.

Does that make me different from everyone else or a little more human for admitting it?

Hugs x

• Posted

Hi there, I'm completely the opposite I have no problem did using my anxiety and depressive illness especialky when I'm going through it.

I have no issues discussing it when I'm well and actively help people where I can if I know they are struggling with it.

i always say I'm no GP but my qualification is QBE "Qualified by experience"! 

For us to go through it takes massive sense of character and strength and people need to know that and be educated and its up to us as travellers to ensure that education gets out there, how people absorb that information is entirely up to them.

When I start to feel well again I'm going to ensure my MP does exactly what they pledge to do which includes awareness and that it is an illness. 

Winston Churchill suffered horrendously with depression but nobody thinks of him as a weak leader. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.